Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samsung SSD EVO and RAW warning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyH1

Programmer
Jan 11, 2004
GB
I recently upgraded my PC to a Samsung SSD EVO 120 GB

When I go into the Samsung magician that comes with it to set 'over provisioning' it seems to work, but I see a warning sign with the message in red

'Using a RAW partition may damage your data. OP can be set or cleared only from the last partition'

The disk shows as set:
Disk 0 111.79 GB white | C: 100.51 GB NTFS blue | OP 11.18 GB dark grey

Can anyone tell me what this warning means, whether I need to do something to fix it, and if so how?

Thanks
Andy

This thread indicates that it's something as simple as turning on Defragmentation service OR there's some type of non-standard partition on your hard drive. Suggest you look at and post all the partition types on that drive.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

goombawaho

Thanks for the link. tried turning on the defragment service but it didn't seem to make a difference
Under disk management it shows the SSD drive has the following partitions:
Data 100 MB NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) This I believe is the system_drv and created by win_7 by default and needed
Windows_7_OS 100.51 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Primary Partition)
11.18 GB Unallocated - This was created by the Samsung Magician when I clicked Over Partition button

The only one which seems non-standard is the 11.18 GB, but this is created by the magician software itself, so I'm at a bit of a lost at the warning

This note has appeared in all five or so installations of EVO drives I've done in various systems so it isn't isolated to just your install. A poorly worded warning or note at best. It is either saying OP won't use any RAW partitions and will be taking space from your last formatted partition or warning the user not to use RAW partitions as in both cases it will lead to data loss. As long as the OP process reduced your last formatted partition size and used this newly freed space (marked as unallocated) for its own purposes, you are good. In your case, your Windows_7_OS partition should have been around 121GB before the OP process with no uinallocated space showing.

Thanks Freestone

So as I understand your saying its just a poorly worded warning that appears no matter what and I should ignore it.

The SSD disk was formatted NTFS and the OP was then taken off this when I clicked the OP button in magician, so I guess what you say is right that the OP area (11.18 GB) is just unallocated and not RAW, and I don't need to worry. Must admit Ive not seen any errors

Thanks for clearing that up

Andy

On the defrag service. If it's still enabled, and you do not have a mechanical hard drive attached, you can safely disable it. You do not need defrag for SSDs. And you just don't need defrag for SSDs.

Here's a pretty in depth article with tests:

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back