Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same report - different output

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbola

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
CA
I modified my SOP Blank Invoice report as it wasn't properly printing the BillTo and ShipTo addresses. It now works great on my computer.

I exported the report to a package file and imported it at another workstation, but it doesn't work. I checked the security and both users have access to the modified report.

I even tried directly importing the report from my local C drive to his reports.dic in report writer and then imported his back to mine and our reports still print differently.

Any ideas? His report is printing the shipto in both places. Mine prints the billto and the ship to as it should.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Edit the the Dynamics.set file on the new workstation and check the location it is pointing to for your Reports.dic file.

I had checked that as well and it's pointing to his c:\dynamics\reports.dic as it should be.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Using the package should work, but you can also copy the reports.dic between machines... assuming that the contents are the same.

David Musgrave
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers no rights.

copying the dictionary is in my opinion the better option.

We have a login script running every time a user logs in that copies a "master" copy of the reports.dic from the server to the local workstations. Rollout of new reports is easy.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

I'll try copying my reports.dic over his, but that would be the same thing as importing one single report using the Import feature in Report Writer and selecting my dictionary as the source and just importing that one report...right?

I'll try it, but hopefully won't screw up any of the reports he uses since mine are changing constantly as I update them for different users.

thanks.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Using import from the Report Writer will not import an added formats or Tables relationships. This is one thing that using packages does handle.

My recommendation is to have all dictionaries on all workstations and all dictionaries the same. Then you can use the Update area concept to synchronise to all machines. If you want the tools and techniques to make an update area work, please let me know.

David Musgrave
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers no rights.

I think you said that you already tried a package file right? I would also make sure the two workstations are on the same service pack. Double check security settings too. :)

Yes stef,I checked the security and versions.

I will copy my dictionary over his and see if that works.

thanks.

Thanks!
Barb E.

OK Here is what I did. I copied the reports.dic from my C drive to his C drive. He then got the error that the modified forms and reports dictionaries needed to be updated in Utilities. I tried this but got more errors and couldn't get anything to work. It said reports.dic has already been updated.

So I copied my Dynamics.dic to his C drive and now it works fine.

thanks for everyone's input.

Thanks!
Barb E.

you definately have a problem with your service pack consistancy.

it is bad practise to have 2 diffrent version of greatplains service pack or dexterity versions running simultaneously.

Rockton software has something called Version Pro which is free. Software will report on what versions are out there on your network.

I strongly recommend you make everything consistant.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

jazgeek - the versions were identical. There was no problem with the servicepack consistency. I'm not sure why it didn't work, but copying the dictionary worked it out.

Thanks!
Barb E.

There was actually an issue with last year's year end update and tax update. You had to install the tax update after the year end update or it didn't take or something. So, people had different versions although the dex.ini had identical information for Last Year End Update and Last Tax Update. To fix it you could reinstall the tax update or copy the dictionary as you did. I believe you are only supposed to copy the dictionary from a computer with the same operating system.

We're on Canadian Payroll, so I think the tax update is irrelevant in our case plus our year-end is not Dec 31. It works now so I'm happy!

thanks

Thanks!
Barb E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back