Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same query/report, different result 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecollett

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
NZ
hello all!

i have three wierd happenings that may or may not be related. (each in a different db)

1 - setup:
form to enter reporting criteria and button to print report (and preview).
query makes table for report based on above criteria.
report consisting of 8 graphs selecting different columns from table. (all select date, and one other eg production volume).
all basic and works well but...
sometimes, randomly, one or more of the graphs will be missing. repeated clicks on preview will show/hide different graphs. the graph object is there when you click on design view and the data is there in the table, but cannot be seen on screen and is missing when printed. if i click on the preview button (and then close print preview of course)on the form repeatidly, either all of the graphs will dissappear or reappear. weird man!

2 - setup
form with critera and report preview button.
query based on one data table and form criteria to pull info together.
one graph (bar graph looking like a pareto)on a report based on this query.
sometimes, randomly, the results vary when going into and out of report preview, both the categoreies and order - both important in a pareto of highest costs!! The graph is always visible though.

3 - setup
a form with many subforms and stuff pulling together about 6 seperate databases.
queries galore pulling together graphs, files, comments, names, dates, numbers etc etc - a real mixed bag.
a button on the form to print out the info - report has a graph based on a sub table shown on the form (data in the queries is always correct).
randomly again, a print out of record 1 will be fine. printout of record 2 will be fine. print out of reord three will have record 1's graph. look at record 2 again - has record 1's graph. look at record 2 again - everything ok. really weird man!

in all cases, the data as shown in queries and made tables is perfect - it seems to be a problem with the report views maybe.

i have tried printing without preview, but the same thing happens.

btw i am using xp and access 2k

cheers
one completely confused mike

I've also had some weird problems with graphs not updating. I have a solution that works most of time. In the report format event add a 'GraphObject.update'.

Let me know how this works.

Michael

I had a problem with graphs updating and someone pointed me to a Knowledge Base Article on the Microsoft website...

There is a known problem with charts in reports if you're running Access 2000 under Windows 2000 or Windows XP:
see ACC2000: A Chart on a Report Displays the Incorrect Data.
There was also a problem about charts not updating correctly in Access 97
see ACC97: Graph 97 Chart Object Does Not Update Display Correctly;

Method 2 in the Access 2000 article worked for me.

Chris

phew!

i went to the kb and ended putting

Dim i As Integer
For i = 1 To 5
DoEvents
Next i

as a sub off the onformat event for the details section - works a treat!

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back