Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same old problem (can't connect) with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDiver

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2003
US
Hello!

Here is a twist on an old problem--I can't connect to a Partner ACS Rel 7.91.K. This morning I swapped a 206 Rel 4.1 for a 308 (might be a 3.0.) I was able to connect without a problem before the swap, but unable to connect after the swap.

System before swap, from left to right, was 206, 206, ACS, 206 (all 206 are Rel 4.1) and a Messaging Rel 1 with 4 port license. After swap system configuration is 308, 206, ACS, 206, Messaging Rel 1 with four port license. Only change was the 206 to 308. I did move the CO and extension plugs on the 206 boards to fill the 308 and keep the same extension numbers on the 206 boards.

I put the new 308 in the left slot, then I changed the hunt group 7 from extension 40, 41, 42, 43 to 42, 43, 44, 45.

Prior to this mornings board swap I didn't have a problem consistently connecting at 14.4. After the swap I am connecting at 4800 to 12000 and the connection has failed every time except once, and even that time the download failed part way through.

The system is working, AFAIK. I purchased the 308 and haven't had it in any system until this morning, I should have tested it first. I didn't see the release marked on the 308 like I see on the 206 boards. I did see a white tag that leads me to think it's release 3. I can't see any reason for this problem except the 206 swapped out for a 308. I am wondering if I should have taken the easy road and put the 308 in the last slot before the Messaging. If I had seen the release on the 308, I probably would have taken the easy way.

I did firmly seat all the boards and the cards (there is a remote access card in the ACS.)

Did I make a mistake putting the 308 Rel 3(?) in the first slot? Any other ideas?

Thanks a billion to everyone on this forum...you don't know how much you have helped me in the past.

Jeff

I don't want to swap the old board back in until

The module order mentioned is the preferred one in the documentation. It should have no effect on the ACS processor, since that is where the modem is. There have been various posts on the forum about flaky ACS509 modems. You may need to use an external modem, if it persists. You may want to search and read those posts for any additional info.

....JIM....

The internal modem has always been hit or miss. It got to the point where, starting with the R7 processor, Avaya provides a connection for an external modem.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Jim/Dexman,

I spent a few hours last night, this morning testing the system. I am able to connect if the I remove the 308 and replace with a 206. If the 308 is in the system, I can't connect. Testing results are repeatable. I also tested with just the 308 and ACS, same results, can't connect.

I did listen in to the connect attempts when the 308 was installed, and there was what I understand to be a prolonged training process as the modems were trying to connect. Something seems to be causing a problem for the modem connection when the 308 is installed.

I am able to consistently connect without any problems to three Partner ACS systems. I can connect via POTS, internally, from home, multiple work locations to different Partner systems, and across different telco's.

I know people have problems connecting, not sure why I don't. Perhaps it's the PCMCIA modem. I do have problems connecting when I try to use the internal modem.

The testing leads me to believe the problem connecting to the ACS is in the 308. If others have not seen problems connecting when there is a 308 in the system, then perhaps I have a bad 308. This is the first 308 I have installed, the other systems I connect to do have 206's, no 308's. Interesting why a bad 308 seems to cause a problem with a remote connection. The 308 wasn't new. Wish I had another 308 for testing.

I am not aware of any problems with the system when the 308 was installed, at least the users didn't report any problems and they aren't shy about calling me.

My next step is to install the 308 in a different system, and see if I have problems connecting to that system. Easiest system to test with has a Rel 6 ACS.

Jeff

Hmmm.....

When you dial in to the system, is the telephone line connected to the main processor or the 206?

Dexman,

While testing lst night, I was connected to an extension on the main processor.

Jeff

Oh...I thought you were accessing the system by calling in via a telephone line..

Dexman,

Since I was swapping the 308 and 206 I just connected to an extension. I had the same problems connecting when I was off site, calling in using an outside line. When I connect to a system, it's usually from off site.

I wonder if the problems people have connecting to are not related to the remote access card or the PC's modem, but caused by some other Partner part adding noise?

Jeff

Yes Jeff,

That certainly brings up some interesting questions. Your client doesn't have an Avaya service contract by chance?

There could be something interfering on the data bus between modules, possibly caused by either one, or something else. Does the new 308EC have a warranty from your source? If so, you might want to get an advanced replacement and see if the replacement changes anything, and try different combinations, etc.

Myself, the Partners I have serviced via remote and station have not had any problems, although the highest version has been R6.0.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back