Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same hard disk, new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtotten

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
I have Windows 2003 Server. I need to upgrade the server. I want to take the existing hard disk and install it in a new computer. Any suggestions how to handle this because of the HAL issue?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,

Do you use RAID? Hardware or software? What kind?
If you have the same brand server and same RAID technology, it'll work.
Anyway it doesn't hurt to try if you have Mirror. Just break it and if failed, just plug back in.

Past experience leads me to tell you don't do it. Chances are it is going to corrupt and you will end up losing all your accounts. I would do this if I had data I needed on the old drive and wanted to keep it intact.

Bring up new server with a decent drive in it. DCPromo the machine and make it part of the domain. Update it to the Global Master, wait for all replication to take place. Demote the other server, wait for sync on to take place on new machine. Run dcdiag and netdiag on new machine make sure there are no leftover anomolies. Down the old server, remove drive, place it in new machine as slave, configure my shares for data. Hope this helps.

Bring the new computer online and make it a new Domain Controller in the domain. Use it to take control of Active Directory. It will assist greatly if you do. Transfer any FSMO roles away from the server you wish to down to the other DC. Make the other DC a global catalog. Move any other services being hosted like DNS or WINS to the other server. Now you can take down the DC you wish to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back