Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same database - different versions of Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanosm

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
GB
Hi,

We have several access databases that are used in our office. Most people are running Access 97, while a few are running Access 2000.

The databases are secured, and everytime the Access 2000 users try and open a database they get an error message telling them they don't have the necessary privileges to convert the DB.

I don't want to convert the DBs to Access 2000, otherwise the Access 97 people won't be able to open them.

I don't see the point of copying the DBs and then converting the copies to Access 2000 (thus having two versions of the same DB - 97 & 2000) as the DBs won't be synchronised.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hanif

Are these database stored as Front-End and Back-End database files? Or, are they stored on a server and you are having them all access the databases through your network? The latter sounds like the situation.

My recommendation would be to keep the back-end databases on the server and keep them in ACCESS 97 version. Then on the front-end both version A97 and A2k can be linked to the back-end database files. A2k can always look backways by version but none of them can look forward in versions.

Are you familiar with this front-end back-end database design technique?

Bob Scriver
[blue]Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886[/blue]

Unfortunately not. I'm a complete novice!

And yes, they are stored on a server.

The typical database design on a server based system includes a front-end(FE) database and a back-end(BE). The FE is installed on all users local PC's hard drive always in the same location. The BE is installed and maintained on your server.

The FE includes static tables, forms, queries, macros, and modules only. The BE inludes only the dynamic tables that will be updated with new records and editing of existing records. The FE is linked to the tables in the BE. This way when a change to the FE is programmed you just test it and distribute it to all users. No damage to the tables and data on the back-end. The advantage to this is everyone is executing their own copy of the database and the speed is much better. When many users all all using a single copy of the database the execution speed especially over the network is degraded.

Specifically to your situation you can have everyone using their own version of ACCESS as a FE application linked to the tables on the server. This server based BE is A97. Now both version as FE dataabases can access and read A97 BE database and tables.

There are also many threads and FAQ's written about this design here at TT.

Post back if you have any more questions.

Bob Scriver

Thank you very much for your help Bob.

I have printed some info off from Microsoft's website on Replicating a Database. Am I on the right track?

No replicating is not what you are looking for. There is an ACCESS Add-In wizard to assist you in splitting your database between your FE and BE. In database design select Tools menu, Add-Ins, Database Splitter. Follow the wizard and you will appropriately split your database.

Bob Scriver

Thanks again. I think I better do some serious reading around before I really mess things up.

Would the process still work if I made a copy of the DB and then split that? Or does the splitting process leave your original intact?

If I could leave the original DB still functioning while I experiment with splitting, then that would be great.

Sure just make a copy and rename it something else. Then use the Splitter to learn how to do it you would be okay. I would put the dtabase in another folder and rename it first. Then experiment with it there. You will end up with a FE and a BE that will worke just as it did with everything in one database except that it will be a bit faster and easier to make changes . You see you can then make programming changes to the FE and after testing, distribute a new FE to every PC using the system.

Good luck.

Bob Scriver

Fantastic. No wonder you're tipmaster of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back