Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

same colour show up differently..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufc

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
GB
I`ve designed a site for a client but there`s one thing that`s bugging me.

The links down the left hand side of the page are images. The backgrounds are the same colour as the table cell they are contained in.

On my monitor it all looks ok, so you can`t see that they are images, but testing it on another pc a darker box appears where my images are. In other words, the background colour of the image is visible and shows up darker.

Why is this happening? The images and the table cell are the same colour and look the same on every other pc I`ve tried it on, but on one pc the images come up too dark.

any ideas?

is the url of the demo site

Did you check the colour settings of the other PC? If it's set to High Color instead of True Color, it could throw it off a bit.

Check that they're both set to True Color, or change it to a web-safe colour.

Good luck!
Brenda

Thanks guys, I`ll check out the colour settings.

Wullie, I tried to make them transparent but I used the smooth text attribute. When I tried to make the background colour transparent (I used Photoshop6, not very good with it, more into the programming) the text looked very dodgy. the only way I could make the background transparent was to use standard text, but it doesn`t look as nice as when it`s smoothed.

Is there any way round it?

rufc:

I quite agree w/Wullie. You can create a transparent gif in just about any graphics editor. It's not necessary to use PhotoShop's transparency value, which may be a little tricky. I use PaintShopPro. Just save as "gif" and you will have an "options" option, wherein you choose "set transparency to background color". The trick is to still use a background that's very close to your actual background, and that way, the anti-aliasing for smoothing the text will use values that will blend very nicely with the actual background. John Hoarty
jhoarty@quickestore.com

Hi, I've had the same problem. Turns out if you created the image and put any compresion on it, it adjusts the color, even when your code says the same color. So, when you create a table with a background color right next to it, you'll see a slight difference.
I guess this doesn't fix your problem, but it's what I found was causing the difference.

I used layers for this problem. Created a background image, then overlayed actual text for the links. This way, I still got the smooth look, with no colour matching worries. The only drawback to this (for me) is that it only works in IE, but I'm researching how to get it to work cross platform. Major advange, really easy to update! Don't have to recreate the image :)

If you want to see it, check out

but you have to load some huge bg image. -----------------------------------
I believe in Jesus
I believe he died and rose again
I believe he is the only way to God
I believe he is God

if you have a problem with my footer, don't flag it. please, send me an e-mail telling me what the problem is.
aron.jones@home.com

Not if its all one colour. The total image size is about 24k, not really a problem

Hi,

Can I ask one simple question that I have asked before?

What is wrong with using a transparent gif with the text on that?

It seems there a lot of posts detailing difficult ways to get the same result.

I am curious why everyone has used complicated techniques to produce the same effect a transparent gif will give you.

The only person that has agreed is JHoarty. Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back