Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

samba 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

designgirl

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
I am trying to set up linux as a server to windows systems. I created my smb.conf file. I have atleast part of it correct because I was able to change userid lengths and I saw it mounted the new folders I created when I restarted the system. My problem is that the server doesn't show up in network neighborhood. I have the windows computers setup with tcp/ip and the workgroup is the same. Is there a step that I am missing. I am trying to get this up and running ASAP to make a computer no nothing eat his words that I couldn't get Linux up and running withing 10-15 days.

Thanks in advance.

Check the "Entire Network" to see if the server is listed there. Sometimes it is just a matter of the "Work Group" being different on the server.

Negative...
Make sure that nmbd is started and that you have the samba server acting as either a
subsidiary machine under an NT server, a wins server in case of mult.subnets or as
a master browser with high OS level.
All these parameters are important and are specified in `man smb.conf`

BTW:
If you know linux and your network
this is an hour job tops.

goto the SAMBA forum and all your questions will be answered. Look in the past questions in that forum.

I had similar questions. They were all answered there.

Also make sure you do not have a firewall blocking the connection. After setting up the system correctly my system failed because of a simple firewall on the win98 client.

Best of Luck One Code to rule them all, One code to bind them.

Your smb.conf should have a few entries that look something like this...

encrypt passwords = Yes
security = domain
workgroup = NTDOM ##Your domain name goes here
password server = *

Add the machine to the Domain on the Domain Controller using Server Manager

Then execute the following smbpasswd −r PDC_NAME −j DOMAIN_NAME

You Linux machine should now be availabe on the Windows Domain and you could access shares if any were created.

PS. Make a backup of the smb.conf file if you intend to use SWAT at a later stage.

Thanks guys.
I was able to use some from all postings to narrow down my prob. after running the smbpasswd line I got the following message.
Packet send failed to 255.255.255.109(137) ERRNO=Invalid argument modify trust password: can't resolve address for PDC_NAME 2002/11/19 12:05:26: change_trust_account_password: failed to change password for domain
unable to join domain.

I might have to call in help to get this up for Friday but atleast part of it is narrowed down so my problem coworker can't say to much.

WRT the error you're getting
Try putting the PDC name and IP into your /etc/hosts
(or replace the PDC name with the IP address)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back