Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba works as root

Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgewayM

Programmer
Jan 22, 2005
CA
Hi All,
I worked on this for a week now and was reluctant to ask any questions on this forum, but I can't find the answer anywhere else.

host: CentOS 4.4
client: Windows XP
Users : one account

I'm very new to Linux but I've got CentOS installed and Samba configured and running.

Here's my problem: If the CentOS server is running as root, the XP machine can see Samba and I can open the shares; however, if I log off the server and keep the server running at the login prompt, the XP machines can no longer see Samba - there's nothing in the workgroup.

Perhaps I'm starting Samba incorrectly. I run this to start Samba: /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

Should I instead be running Samba as a service so it continues to run when I'm logged out?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi

You could try the following:

nohup /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

HTH

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Samba should be running after logout. The syntax on RedHat systems is what you're using, "/etc/init.d/smb start" or "service smb start".

You can verify that smbd and nmbd are running during logout by logging out as root, logging back in as a normal user, and looking for the processes.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

The problem was a one line mistake:

I changed "security = share" to "security = user" in the smb.conf file. Problem fixed

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back