Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAMBA With Windows 2000 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunopt

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
PT
Hello everyone, how can i configure redhat entreprise AS to run on my windows 2000 domain. Is there any good whitepaper or any how to in some web page. I´ve tried everything but i can´t found it.

My objective is to run Samba and configure Linux AS to connect on my windows 2000 domain.

Thanks everyone

Is your domain in native or mixed mode? As this has a lot to do with the way you will authenticate against a domain controller, native=kerberos authentication, mixed=standard NTLM authentication.

It is possible to have a linux client accessing 2000 AD resources without being in the domain by using Samba, and editing your samba.conf file to reflect the servername/domain/admin password of the server(s) you are trying to connect to.

there are plenty of articles out there to do with this.

this one should point you in the right direction, hopefully!

Normally this works as follows:
1. You add the NetBIOS name of your Samba server to the computers in your Active directory. Let's assume the name of your Active Directory domain is YOURDOMAIN.COM, the NetBIOS name of your Samba Server is YOURSAMBA and the NetBIOS name of your Active Directory Server is YOURADSERVER.
If YOURSAMBA is already member of YOURDOMAIN.COM, delete the computer account, first, then reenter it.

2. You need to type in the following command as root:
smbpasswd –j YOURDOMAIN.COM –r YOURADSERVER –D -3
Now you should get the reply "You successfully joined the domain YOURDOMAIN.COM.

3. If this command does not succeed the following can be tried:
smbpasswd –j GLS-HOLDING –r NLGLS001S005 –Uadministrator%passwort

(you need to replace the string password by the administrator password of the domain YOURDOMAIN.COM.)

Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back