Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba Usage on HP-UX11i - Directory Access Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion14

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hello Unix Gurus.
I installed Samba on my hpux box and I altered my smb.conf file to share my /tmp directory.

I can see my hpux box from my win2000 machine and I can see the tmp directory. But...when I try to open the tmp directory I'm faced with a 'connect as' and 'password' prompt. I can't get past this point. I currently have my Security Type setting as 'user level'. I checked the white pages on HP's web site and found the following under the security level section:
"User-level security: When this security type is specified, each share is assigned specific users. When a request is made for access, Samba checks the user's user name and password against a local list of authorized users and only gives access if a match is made. "

Where does Samba look for the user name and password? It says it checks a local list but that tells me nothing. Is it the passwd file? This is driving me nuts.
Any info is appreciated.

Thanks. I found and fixed the problem.
Had to chmod 777 on the directory that I wanted to share. Works great now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back