Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba Trouble - WIN2K/Redhat 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

axman505

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
US
I am trying to mount my windows 2000 harddrive shares on my linux box which is runnign redhat 6.2. When i try to mount the drive, this is what happens:

[root@mmax /mnt]# mount -o username=password -t smbfs //aaron/d /mnt/aarond
Connection to aaron failed
SMB connection failed
mount: backgrounding "//aaron/d"
[root@mmax /mnt]# Connection to aaron failed
SMB connection failed

However, network neighboorhood does pick up the samba share and that works .. but i cant mount my drives. Does anybody haev any suggestions?? THey are greatrly appreciated. Thanks

You probably need the workgroup name to mount the Samba share.
mount -t smbfs -o username=me,password=****,workgroup=MYGROUP,rw //host/mountpoint

that didnt work .. still says connection failed. Anybody have any other ideas?

I have now figured out that it is something set wrong on my windows 2k machine. I tried to mount that drive from a different win2k machine and that worked. But i cant mount the one on my machine. Any Ideas??

Microsoft has rewritten parts of the RPC authentication protocol for the SMB protocol in Windows2000 SP2 and WindowsXP. If you have installed SP2 then you are going to see problems connecting to Samba.

See the Samba FAQ:

We've put a mortorium on SP2 in our company. Samba 2.2.1 will support SP2 and WinXP.

I am trying to do basically the same thing. I am able to mount a Win2K share, and see it from Linux (Redhat 6.2) but if file/directory information changes, Linux will not stay in sync. For example if I delete a file: Doing an LS I will get a message stating
"ls:filename: No such file or directory."

If I copy a file (in either Win2K or Linux) it shows up in Windows explorer, but not in a Linux ls.

If I unmount, and remount, the files show up.

I am using the mount command of the form:

mount -t smbfs -o uid=uuu,gid=ggg,username=NAME,password=**** //server/share /mount-point

Also I have Service pack 2.

Some more info on Samba mounting:

If you specify user in the options you do not need to specify the uid or gid, and any user wil be able to mount, not just root. Also, add sync to the options, and both file systems should remain in sync.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back