Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba Share with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knexo10

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
AU
I'm very new to Linux and I'm having trouble setting up a share between Linux and Windows XP pro.

I have run samba and set it up as best as I can figure out.

I can see the Samba share in Network places on the XP Machine but when I try and access the share I get

"\\Samba is not accessible. You might not have premission to use this network resource...."

I can ping from the XP machine to the Linux Machine and Ping the other way as well.
I have the I.P addresses set up as 192.168.0.1 for the XP and 192.168.0.3 for the Linux.

The smb.conf file is as follows

[global]
workgroup = FENNU
netbious name = Samba
encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]
read only = no
browseable = no

[data]
path = /data
browseable = yes
public = yes

That is my whole smb.conf file. Is it missing anything that will stop my share of the data directory working?

I have added the same user login to both the xp machine and the Linux Machine.
Username: Admin
Password: xxxx (for both)

Also I have added the password to samba for the user Admin by running

smbpasswd

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong. It seems like I'm close because I can see the share but not Actually get into it makes me think that it is a permissions problem.

Oh yeah the XP machine is in a Workgroup FENNU

Help please.

Thanks for the Link to the Troubleshooting bluegroper.

I now have a question that looking through that doc has brought up.

It says that I should be able to ping by the computer name as well as the IP address. I don't seem to be able to do this.

The Document says that this would be a DNS config error.

How do I setup the DNS on the XP machine to fix this and how do I set the DNS up on the Linux Machine.

Try adding these lines to the global section of your samba.conf:

smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd #or wherever it actually is
security = user

you must add the user to Samba as well,

smbpasswd -a username

(where username is the same one you created before in linux and XP)

then type

smbpasswd username <enter>

change password.

Adding a user to Linux does not mean creating that user to Samba as well

It is also good to add these lines to the smb.conf if you don't have a Windows PDC

local master = yes
OS level = 64

and set the home directories to browsable, it will be very good for your private stuff. Samba will match your credentials when you connect from a XP box to the password file you have created with the command above and give access to the right home directory only.

Finally
bluegroper, asking for stars is a bad, bad thing to do expecially if you don't give a good answer.

Bye

Qatqat The reason why my girlfriend can read my thoughts is because mine are properly written! (G.Lepore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back