Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim5700

MIS
Oct 1, 2003
US
I have a Red Hat 8.0 machine that is running Apache and Samba. I have a Windows 2000 box that running IIS 5.0 and SurfStats Live. SurfStats basically reads access logs and creates a visual report. Both computers are in the same workgroup and on the same subnet. I can connect to my share on the Samba server however I am always prompted for a password. The purpose of the Samba share is so SurfStats can access the Apache access_log. I have the global parameter set to guest ok=yes and guest account=nobody. Are there any suggestions on how I can avoid password requests?

Add the Window$ user to the linux box.
useradd windowsuser
passwd windowsuser
smbpasswd -a windowsuser
smbpasswd -e windowsuser

I have tried the above recommendation with no luck. I have also tried to change the type of security from user to server with the computer that tries to connect as the password server. I am able at this point to not enter a password to access the share. I need to not be prompted for a password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back