Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

samba on solaris 9 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonioelderprado

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2003
Anybody knows if we can mount (using samba) a file from xp on solaris-9. The mounting of solaris-9 - mapping drive on xp I was capable of doing; however I cannot find any mount_smb or mount -F smb tool to mount the those xp files. The only tool that I have is smbclient , but this gives me ftp-ish like only.
ON my system I did pkgadd instead of configure,make,make_install.

Appreciate any info.

thank you

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

MS have made their Windows services for UNIX free for download at:

This will allow you to export files from XP to UNIX

hth

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by - Douglas Adams

I noticed the same thing on mine, and went trudging through the source code.

Seems I missed the configure --with-smbmount.

Tried that, but I got "checking whether to use smbmount... configure: error: not on a linux system!"

Sigh, I guess that answers that question.

thank you redlike, chacalinc, mrmac228:

it seems that all samba can do is to get mapped to an windows, not an windows on solaris.

thank you

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

Microsoft Services for UNIX WILL share a MS windows directory and allow it to be mounted on a UNIX system.

Read the help pages on NFS server.

hth

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by - Douglas Adams

Use smbsh if you don't like smbclient's interface. But smbsh is very buggy though. It took me some times to fix some of the bugs to get it to work on sol 8, 9 & 10.

From your shell prompt, run ./smbsh -W<workgroup> -U<user>
It'll then promt you for your workgroup/NTdomain password,
then it'll display:
smbsh>
Now to access windows share, do a &quot;cd /smb/windows_share&quot;
You can do a &quot;ls, cp, vi..&quot; on windows files. However, some commands will crash smbsh right way. For ex, ps

King Tan
SCSA, SCNA, HP-UX CSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back