Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba Join NT Doamin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
IT
hi everybody,
When I tried to join NT domain,it prompt me showing that no NT_TRUST_SAM Account,mean no trust relationship with NT domain.Before that I have joind it,but after I reinstalled OS.I can't join again.Thanks.

Hi,

Firstly you have to use server manager for domains on the M$ box and add the netbios name of the samba server (as defined in smb.conf and not the necessarily same as hostname). This will then create the machine account.

Then from the samba box you do :

smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME -r PDCNETBIOSNAME

(DOMAINNAME = name of domain; PDCNETBIOSNAME = netbios name of Primary Domain Controller)

If you're still having a problem, I'd suggest removing the machine account from the M$ box then re-adding it.

Rgds

Hi,
Have added netbios name = servername,still get the same message.What is M$ box.Can help me.Thanks.

Hi,

M$ (Micro$oft) box means the NT/W2K server itself, i.e. the PDC (Primary Domain Controller). If you want a samba server to join a NT domain as a member server then there has to be a userid/account on the PDC that equates to the samba server. This 'joining' must be done by both sides - you cannot force a NT server to trust your server. So you have to go to the NT server and run the 'server manager for domains' utility to do this before trying to join from samba.

However, if you just mean from a <client> perspective that you want to be regarded as in the same domain for browsing - make sure your 'workgroup = xxxx' parameter is set so that the xxxx is the name of the domain. By default its 'workgroup'.

Hope thats a bit clearer
Rgds

hi friend,
Thanks for your help.I got another problem,when I want to acess this Computer through network neighbourhood,it required me to key in username and password,how can i solve it with direct access.Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back