Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

samba configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i am using red hat linux 7.2 on server & win 98SE on clients. I edited /etc/samba.smb.conf to change

under [global]
workgroup = my workgroup name
allow hosts = ip address/net mask
interfaces = ip address/24
under [share]
[tmp]
path = /tmp
public = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0765
browseable = yes
even now /tmp is not shared on the clients.please help.

did u forget to restart smb,nmb daemaons by mistake, may be that is the reason why /tmp is still not shared.

Also, bear in mind that it takas a minute or so for your share to appear on the master browse list.

hi!

I have installed linux 7.2 i am able to access all the windows 98 clients on the linux server but i am not able to access the server on the win98 client , i am only able to ping to the server form the win98 client

Here is a Samba configuration file I setup for use at the company I work at. This is a basic LOW security share setup.

1.) Ensure that Samba is installed and running. (Usually installed with LINUX)
2.) Create a folder that you want to share. (There is always a /public folder installed with LINUX for share use.
3.) Add a user named pcguest. Type at prompt “adduser pcguest”. Then type “passwd pcguest”. For password hit enter.
4.) Vi /etc/samba/smb.conf. Under global edit the following to match.
workgroup = (yourworkgroup)
browseable = yes
force user = root
force create mode = 777
server string = Samba Server
guest account = pcguest
hosts allow = (first 3 octets of the IP scheme you want to access the server)
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = lprng
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
security = share
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
local master = no
domain master = no
preferred master = no
interfaces = (LINUX server IP address)/24

Under Share Definitions Edit the following.
[public]
path = /(the folder you want to share)
public = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
browseable = yes

[tmp]
path = /tmp
public = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
browseable = yes

5.) Once the editing is completed hit esc and shift zz to save.
6.) Now do a ps –ef | grep mbd and kill all processes for nmbd and smbd.
7.) Type nmbd –D –n (the name you want to show up in windows)
8.) Type smbd –D
9.) Go to a Windows PC and look in Network Neighborhood for the share you just created. If it is there you are near completion, if not ensure that the settings in the smb.conf are there and correct. Also grep the mbd (or nmbd and smbd ) and ensure they are running.
10.) On the LINUX machine vi the /etc/rc and add the following lines to the end of it (This will set the nmbd and smbd clients to start automatically on bootup) /usr/sbin/nmbd –D –n (the name you want to show up in windows) and /usr/sbin/smbd –D
11.) Restart.

James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Also, to access the share on your windows machine you need to have your windows login match your samba login.

So if on linux you are:

user: bob
password: 12345

Then in windows, your windows login must be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back