Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salary and Job Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kHz

MIS
Dec 6, 2004
US
Below is a link I found when searching for job information. It could be helpful and insightful for some people. A couple of the job salaries I looked at are RNs and Plumbers/Electricians because I continually hear people say something like, "I should have been a plumber because, I called a plumber the other day and he drove up in his 6 Series Bimmer" or that nurses earn $80,000/year. There are exceptions to any rule, however, they are not the norm, as shown by the data. And some of the nusring jobs, those that pay more, REQUIRE a BSN or MSN and years of on-the-job experience.

A co-worker's wife is going to a nursing school (not a BSN - 18 month program) and he keeps saying that when she graduates she is going to be making $70,000 upon graduation. I have told him, as well as our boss, that she isn't going to make that much. But he doesn't listen, he just keeps believing it. Our boss told him to go talk to some nurses (our company employees a large number of nurses because the company's field) and he will find out they don't make that kind of money, but he won't. Just keeps repeating the same money line every time.

RN around my area make about 58K so depending on the size of the city I could see it being possible to make 70 to 80K. It depends on if they work weekends, nights and other variables.

Most any salary survey has to be taken with a grain of salt, especially in the IT fields. You need to be cautious of "surveys" prepared by headhunters and consulting firms. The definitely seem to inflate their numbers. Look at a half dozen different surveys, throw out the ones that are obviously "botique" surveys or the same data repackaged by different groups. Average what's left after accounting for wildly varying job descriptions for the same title and you might get a realistic figure.

(I was highly amused by one survey in 1998 that claimed the "average" network admin with 3 years experience was making 68K with a 10% bonus.)

kHz - good link, that's one I hadn't seen before.

Jeff
The future is already here - it's just not widely distributed yet...

My wife is going to nursing school, 'so I can retire', I jokingly say. Starting per hour is $27 or RN, which would be about 54K per year at 40hrs per week. Overtime will of course up that. After a few years, the pay is in the mid-to-high 30's per hour, which approaches 80K per year. She knows one nurse making over $120K per year, but she is older and highly experiecned.

But with IT--it's all over the map. Obviously hi-rent areas will need to pay more to get someone who lives within a reasonable distance, but there are still folks out there who got big raises during the boom, and they haven't been replaced by lower-cost job-seekers. These folks are lucky--their skillset doesn't warrant anymore what they're paid, so they're targets.

Averaging isn't good because you may be in a hi-cost market and that average is below what you're really worth, and vice-versa.
J

I agree that you can't blindly average, you have to take into account your local economy, job market etc. My only point is to perform due diligence and look a number of sources - don't just believe a single source that's claiming an entry-level Webmaster is going to make $75K.

Jeff
The future is already here - it's just not widely distributed yet...

don't just believe a single source that's claiming an entry-level Webmaster is going to make $75K.
Exactly, and a good point. In Manhattan, you might see that position approaching six figures--but of course the guy in Podunk Arkansas is going to get lauqhed out of the interview if he asks for anything above the 50-60K range.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back