Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safety Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilmurat

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2007
TR
Hi to everyone,

I Manage 24LIM BC12SP8. This system DUMP to 3 HDU7 with spareted REL1 , REL2 and Safety Backup. Today i try safety backup with FISBI. Safety disk SubFs size 64MB not enough for that.

<IOSII:NODE=SYSN,IODEV=SAFETY-HDU,BTYPE=SCSI,SIPOS=0,SUBFS=SAFETY-SF;
EXECUTED

<FICRI:SUBFS=SAFETY-SF,SIZE=64;
FICRI:SUBFS=SAFETY-SF,SIZE=64;
SURE? (YES/NO)
<y;
EXECUTED

<FISBI:DIR=REL1;
FISBI:DIR=REL1;
SURE? (YES/NO)
<Y;
ORDERED
SPONTANEOUS PRINTOUT
SAFETY BACKUP RESULT
COPYING TO SAFETY BACKUP FAILED
SUBFILE SYSTEM IS FULL
END

<IODDP;
I/O DEVICE DATA
NODE IODEV/SUBFS BPOS/EQU I/O-BUS TYPE/USAGE STATUS AUTH
SYSN - 001-0-70 - - IN SERVICE
SYSN SAFETY-HDU 001-0-70-0 SCSI/0 ADTX IN SERVICE
SAFETY-SF
SYSN SYSDISK1 001-0-70-0 SCSI/3 ADTX IN SERVICE
SYSSUBFS11
SYSSUBFS12
SYSN SYSDISK2 001-0-70-0 SCSI/4 ADTX IN SERVICE
SYSSUBFS21
SYSSUBFS22
<FISCP:IODEV=SYSDISK1;
FILE SYSTEM CAPACITY DATA
TOTAL DISK SPACE: 8063 MBYTES
SUBFS: SYSSUBFS11
KBYTES FILES
TOTAL AVAIL TOTAL MOUNTED
65536 19146 16000 /SYSN/USR1
SUBFS: SYSSUBFS12
KBYTES FILES
TOTAL AVAIL TOTAL MOUNTED
65536 26702 16000 /SYSN/USR1/SES/DR/REL1/S2
END

When I Try to,

FICRI:SUBFS=SAFETY-SF,SIZE=65;
NOT ACCEPTED
SIZE OF SUBFILE SYSTEM TOO LARGE

Is there anyway to create subfs more than 64Megs?
ALEX says for SUBFS SIZE to 1 to 254Megs.
But i cant do that.

I can copy to disk to another disk with SAM Toolbox.
But i dont prefer to that.

Thanks for Help
PS: Sorry my English :)

Your safety backup will not work because the original REL contains 2 subfiles which is 128MB. Your SIPOS 0 is only 64MB. If I am you the easiest way and 100% reliable is to unmount REL2 and mount your spare HDU7 as REL2 SIPOS 4 then do a normal dump. Then keep the original REL2 or SIPOS 4 as your safety backup. Also doing safety backup is only once in a while so no problem doing this method.

Before doing the Steps, do DUSYI until REL2 is the latest REL. Check it by doing DUBDP;

Step 1: Remove your SIPOS 0.
BLEQI:EQU=1-0-70-0;
FIMOE:SUBFS=SAFETY-SF;
IOSIE:NODE=SYSN,IODEV=SAFETY-HDU;
Then change the straps from SIPOS 0 to SIPOS 4. Straps is binary 4 2 1. Try to learn this by yourself.

Step 2: Remove your SIPOS 4. This will be your repeated steps when doing a safety backup in the future.

Now you have 2 HDU7 SIPOS 4, one in your hand and one in the system on line.

Now you will start the actual procedure.
BLEQI:EQU=1-0-70-00;
FIMOE:SUBFS=SYSSUBFS21;
FIMOE:SUBFS=SYSSUBFS22;

IOSIE:NODE=SYSN,IODEV=SYSDISK2;

Then turn of HDU7 SIPOS 4 and swap with your spare HDU7. Reconnect all cables then turn on the HDU.

IOSII:NODE=SYSN,IODEV=SYSDISK2,SIPOS=4,SUBFS=SYSSUBFS21&SYSSUBFS22;

FICRI:SUBFS=SYSSUBFS21,SIZE=64;
YES;
FICRI:SUBFS=SYSSUBFS22,SIZE=64;
YES;

BLEQE:EQU=1-0-70-00,ALLFM=YES;

FIMOI:SUBFS=SYSSUBFS21;

FIDII:pATH=/SYSN/USR2/SES/DR/REL2;
FIDII:pATH=/SYSN/USR2/SES/DR/REL2/S2;

FIFOC:pATH=/SYSN/USR2/SES,OWNER=DR;
FIFOC:pATH=/SYSN/USR2/SES/DR,OWNER=DR;
FIFOC:pATH=/SYSN/USR2/SES/DR/REL2,OWNER=DR;
FIFOC:pATH=/SYSN/USR2/SES/DR/REL2/S2,OWNER=DR;

FIMOI:SUBFS=SYSSUBFS22,PATH=/SYSN/USR2/SES/DR/REL2/S2/;

DUSYI;
After the dump, you ALREI and now you can keep the new SIPOS 4 online. Then you put the original HDU7 SIPOS 4 in antistatic bag and in the box for safety. If safety backup is needed in emergency for reloading, dont forget to restrap it as SIPOS 3 before reloading the system. But this procedure is very rare and might not be use, unless the online backup become faulty and system request a reload.

Hope this will help you. Recheck my commands above, I might have a typo error just in case.

Cheers.

Hi

The disk size above 64 are reserved for NIU2 and ATA disk.

One option is to move to NIU2 and ATA disk, but you can only have 2 disks per NIU2, instead of 7 per IPU/NU.
So in that case you need 2 NIU2 - one for normal backup and one of safety backup.
An other limitation is that FISBI does not work with ATA bus and you must use FICPI instead.

Best regards

Why not just use MDDT out of the SAM Toolbox and offload your RELs to a network drive once a month.
this way you dont have to keep mucking about swapping disks (as we used to as well) and can keep historical backups as long as you want!!

Steve

program0 you are correct. I also recommend that to our Engineers here but sometimes you need to accept that the best way is not always the best. This is because some Technicians knowledge are not the same as how the expert thinks. What customer says is just plug in the safety backup and reload the system. In case of emergency, sometimes everyone is panicking and no time to muck around doing FTP. A clean safetybackup which is somehow a plug and play method is easier for them to do.

There are so many complications too. If the online HDU is faulty and the system is faulty, you have no time to do commands to format the HDU and FTP the file into it. We will just waste a precious time. Unlike, a ready handy safety backup is still acceptable by majority of End User.

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back