Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safenet Uninstallation Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

yomang

MIS
Oct 25, 2001
US
Trying to install the wgx file onto a laptop that will be used for VPN (using MUVPN). I download and install the client software, MUVPNlite612. At the prompt to navigate to the wgx file, which was on a floppy, I navigate to the floppy but do not have the floppy inserted. Naturally, I figure that there is an ability to retry to load the wgx file, but I could not find it. I try to uninstall the software and receive the error message that I quoted in the subject line.

Nothing like going backwards.....any suggestions?

BTW, I get the error message if I try to install or uninstall the "lite" version of the MUVPN. Also, if I try to install the full version with zone alarm I am prompted to assure that zone alarm is shut down first. It is not installed and the safenet connection no longer exists. GRRRRRRRRR

You get this message if the VPN software is "activated" when you start the uninstallation. Somewhere on their website is the description for manually removing the software, which is what you have to do now -- you at least have to remove a few registry keys.

After manually removing it, reinstall it. If you wish to permanently remove it, right click the "S" symbol and choose "deactivate". Then you can uninstall it. Only after a 'regular' uninstall will it be completely removed, and you can't do this if you've tried to uninstall with the program active.

I've had this problem too. Really, they should warn you before the uninstallation process that you must deactivate the software first.

You do have the opportunity to try again with the wgx file, just not through the installation wizard. You can do it through the software (load wgx) or you can just double-click the wgx file and it will automatically write the appropriate settings to your vpn software.

Thanks for the answer JL.

However it seems as if I have some "special case" once again. All of the settings contained within the instructions are no longer residing on this particular laptop. It looks like another call to Asia.....

Yomang

Hey yomang,

Did you ever end up with an answer on this? I seem to have the same exact "special case" that you do.

I did all the manual registry hacks and file deletions but I'm still getting the Safenet error when I try to run the executable.

Any help would be awesome.

AJester

Do a search and remove the following dlls:

Cmondll.dll
SnPolicy.dll
IreMgmt.dll

That, together with removing the registry keys as per WatchGuard's support site, and once you make sure the Security Policy is deactivated, should enable you to safely uninstall the software and reinstall again.

Hi.

I have the same problem. I followed the manual uninstallation instructions on watchguards website, plus searched for the 3 dll's mentioned. But still no luck:( Please help this is drivig me mad.....

I have yet to find an answer to this problem. I have even been in touch with some WG staff and have yet to find an answer. GRRRRRRR

Check the registry for the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\key

This key should be similar to
"{2f931b84-0cee-11d1-aa7d-0080ad1ac47a}" and/or "6eb...".
Delete this key.

Reinstall the client with the automatic installer.
Uninstall the client from the Add/Remove Programs menu in the Control Panel.

Good Luck!

I am trying to manually uninstall the Mobile User VPN Client but I cannot find the instructions on how to do so on Watchguard's website. All of these replies in this forum give solutions based on the user manually uninstalling the software first. Can someone please clue me in on how to manually uninstall the VPN Client? Thanks!

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately, I can't view it b/c I don't have the proper access account. Is there anyway you can email it me in text format or just cut and paste the instructions into a file and send it to me? That would be so helpful. Thanks so much!

Bill
ledebuhr@usa.com

Thanks!

I have uninstalled every registry key mentioned by Watchguard and safenet, also those mentioned in this thread. But... I still receive the safenet uninstallation failed when trying to reinstall muvpn6.12 on an XP pro machine. I have been unable to find anything about this on safenet also. Is there a different solution to getting this remote user up in vpn tunnel via watchguard. Watchguard says its safenet, safenet says its watchguard... I think its microsoft but still no link for the user. Any additional registry keys I am willing to try.

From WG WebSite,that's fine work.:)

The recommended method for uninstalling the MUVPN client is through the Control Panel Add/Remove programs icon. If, for some reason, this fails or a reinstallation fails, steps may be taken to uninstall parts of the client manually:

Caution: It is very important to deactivate the security policy before uninstalling the client (using the automatic uninstallation process or the manual uninstallation process). Failure to deactivate the policy can result in the PC crashing and the MUVPN client being unusable.

Caution: BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY. Failure to do so may result in an unusable Windows configuration. WatchGuard cannot be responsible for damage resulting from the (mis)use of this information. More information on backing up your registry can be found at the following Web address:

Remove the SafeNet VPN Adapter from the Network control panel.
Delete the following folders:
Program Files/Watchguard/Mobile User VPN/

Temp/

Delete the following files:
Windows/System/ire*.DLL

WinNT/System/ire*.DLL

Delete the following registry keys:
HKLM\Software\Zone Labs

HKLM\Software\WatchGuard

HKLM\Software\DeterministicNetworks

HKLM\Software\IRE

HKLM\Enum\Network\DNES (Windows 98)

HKLM\Enum\Network\DNEMAC (Windows 98)

HKLM\Enum\Network\DNEPRO (Windows 98)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNE (Windows NT/2000)

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DniVap (Windows NT/2000)

HKLM\.wgx (Windows 2000)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wgx_auto_file (Windows 2000)

Browse to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\key
Scroll through every alphanumeric key and look for "Mobile User VPN" in every value. Delete the keys that contain "Mobile User VPN" - it may appear near the end, so make sure you look at the entire length of each value.
Reinstall the client with the automatic installer.
Uninstall the client from the Add/Remove Programs menu in the Control Panel.

Watchguard&Fortigate
=======================
From Shanghai of China
Msn:glamout2k@hotmail.com
:) Glad chat with u!

TRY THIS !!
I have had this problem many times, tried all of the fixes on Watchguard, and the tek-tips with no success.What I have done before is format & start again BUT then I remembered one trick ..... XP Sytem Restore.The reason the WG uninstall fails is because it is active when you try & uninstall (yes we all forget sometimes !) so the best thing to do is system restore to a few days ago (or last known working date), you do not lose any data, but you get back to either working VPN or broken VPN but able to de-activate the sw and uninstall again.
I write this after doing it on my machine and it took 5 minutes start to finish and what do you know it is working like a dream.
Any comments/feedback or questions invited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back