Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

safe conversion from string to integer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quimbly

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
CA
Hello,

I'm no expert when it comes to SQL, so go easy on me. I'm a novice.

Here's the situation: My VB6 code is constructing an SQL query string which will eventually be passed to my Access DB. There is a field in the DB which is text, but which also contains numeric values. Here are some examples of data strings that might be in this field:

X
N/A

I want to be able to search the purely numeric values in this field using logical numeric operators ( i.e. <, <=, >, >=, and = ), but I don't want other non-purely-numeric values returned.

So, if my query was something like

blah blah blah WHERE fieldA > 3

it would return the records with the 5 and 11 in fieldA, and none of the others from the above group, in the result set.

How do I do it?!

Any help is much appeciated.

What about this ?
WHERE Val(IsfieldA) > 3

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

The problem with using Val() is that it returns 0 when the input string is non-numeric. So, from my example,

Val(fieldA) where fieldA is "X" or "N/A" will be returned in the results set for the expression:

blah blah blah WHERE Val(fieldA) < 5

..which is not good. I want the records with non-numeric data in fieldA excluded.

How can incorporate is_numeric() is here also. This just a query string! I'm lost.

And this ?
WHERE IsNumeric(fieldA) And Val(fieldA) < 5

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back