Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

s8730 Power supplies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcard100001

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
My master pair servers (s8730's) have single power supplies in each. I've purchased additional power supplies so that they'll have dual power supplies. Is this service affecting? Can I simply insert them?

Thanks,

Wildcard

you can insert them while the system is on, they are designed to be hot swappable. It is not service affecting.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Many thanks Mitch - a rock star for you. I figured that was the case. Here was Avaya’s lame T1 response:

Yes, if you have duplicated servers. You will have to interchange and could be service affecting. I would add power to the standby server first then interchange to the active and make the standby active and then add power to the new standby server
_____

It's a painful amount of red tape to do a simple interchange in my organization. I only do them if I absolutely have to.

Thanks again,

Wildcard

Wildcard the people at Avaya have probably got confused thinking you were just replacing single power supplies. As the document they were reading from was probably this :

Job Aids for Field Replacement Units (FRUs) for the Avaya S8700 Series Servers

Page 187 mentions the process of interchanging etc which they recommended.

Hey thanks I bet you are correct.

Indeed the secondary power supplies were inserted without issue. Maintenance pages reflected the new hardware as well.

Wildcard

Wildcard,
Do you have an HP part number or Avaya for the power supply?

I don't the HP part number but the material code for Avaya is 700445802. If I'm not mistaken the servers are HP DL385.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong..

Wildcard

If Avaya would also support that configuration on the S8720, that would be great...It is just not so...'

gblucas

If you want to determine (or confirm) the type of server you're logged into, you
can execute the CLI command, "grep ServerType /etc/ecs.conf", and the values you
can see decode as follows:

dl380g3 = S8710
dl385g1 = S8720
dl385g2 = S8730

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

35 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 25 years and counting

does anyone have a picture of this power supply? I'm trying to find one that was shipped to me by accident and nobody knows what it looks like. I don't have the server at my location....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back