Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S8710 Upgrade & Call Accounting (CDR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

troubleman1

Technical User
Dec 15, 2004
US
We are upgrading our PBX to S8710 and I am told that I will no longer have a serial port that sends CDR to my data link storage box that sits on our LAN for our CAS. I am told by our business partner who is doing the installation that I need a terminal server. I want to keep the same configuration which is what I need to do since we will be upgrading our CAS in about 6 months to a web based solution. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good brand of TS to use? Can anyone tell me how this TS works? Will I need to do any programming on this TS?

Also, it is my understanding that the new connection on the S8710 is configured as followed: An RJ45 cable is connected to the CLAN board and the Terminal Server. From the TS to my existing Data Link storage box I use an RS232 cable. Is this correct? Has anyone experienced any problems with this setup?

Thanks

s8XXX could receive CDR by LAN, tcp/ip. don't spend too many money to buy a Terminal server.

You can order a IOLAN hardware TCP/IP to RS232 for your case

Ava88

The IOLAN device is the stadard that I have used when supporting old call accounting systems and other serial interface adjuncts. You should be able to find a one port model between $200 - $250, or a two port between $250 - $300. They can be a little tricky to get configured, but work reliably once they are set up. The best part is that you'll pull the serial cable off the back of your existing PBX and plug it into the serial port on the IOLAN.

You really might want to look at using reliable session protocol or RSP to send the CDR data out via C-Lan board to your CAS system. It is a lot easier then dealing with buffer boxes and terminal servers etc.

If you are using CAS ask Veramark about ECAS. If not using CAS then talk to your specific vendor about re-deploying CAS with IP based collection.

If you are multi-site this is even more attractive. The configuration on the switch side only takes a few minutes and you will never have to deal with hosed up buffer boxes again.

I have a more attractive alternative. This product seems inexpensive but is very powerful. I just found it recently in a shareware download site.

It has an online demo on their site:

Stockman16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back