Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S69inet IFCONFIG Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmpapi

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2000
US
Is there a limit to the number of IP addresses you can add via the IFCONFIG in the /etc/rc2.d/S69inet file?

Thanks

the maximum is 8192, although there is a way to use adb to allocate more interfaces....Anyone know how to use adb for this purpose?

No - but I'd like to know.

What version of UNIX are you using by the way? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

I have not found these answer yet. I do know that it makes the system unstable, so there is a possibility of damaging the kernel. I myself am currently running Solaris 7.

Thanks...

8192 seems a lot of addresses to bind to one physical device... as I'm sure has ocurred to you. Why wouldn't you add more NIC's to the box and reduce the load on each device? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back