Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

s/w to view thumbnail images 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyve

Technical User
Feb 25, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a bunch of images which I want to see in thumbnail view but wont show up. The only way I am able to view the ilages is to open them in IE or Photoshop. Is there any software that I can download such that I can preview the images as thumbnails?

Thanks!

Irfanview is an image viewer that will generate thumbnails as you browse folders...

(open an image in the folder and press 'T', or press 'T' and navigate to the folder)
It's also very fast for slow systems.

Can't you change the the view settings in windows explorer,
view>thumbnails

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

I've always liked VueScan that can be found at where you can (download free trial)

When I first got it maybe 5 years ago it was freeware that asked for a $20 donation...well worth it!

I looked at VueScan ( isn't that scanning Software?

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Sorry, Vueprint Is the image viewer.

I installed it to have a look, it's alright but I did find errors when generating thumbnails from large images (2000x5000 pixels), and limited image support

Irfanview is free and supports 60 different image formats

as well as media(download the pluginpack), inc fonts, icon archives, flash, psd etc.

PS: if uninstalling Vueprint, the uninstall process actually doesn't uninstall Vueprint, you have to remove four files from the windows/system32(or system if not XP).
The uninstall only removes the file associations and the shorcut from the accessories menu.

Hi,

I tried viewing thru Irfanview, but the problem still persists. I also tried the settings in Windows Explorer. Could this have anything to do with the resolution of the pictures? For instance, I noticed, I am able to preview the high resolution pictures.

Thanks.

are you talking about the thumbnail view settings in Windows explorer (View>Thumbnails) or the file details thumbnail preview(on the left in an explorer window?

To view the thumbnails of images in a folder, in Irfanview...

1. open up any image from the folder that you want to see thumbnails for, in Irfanview.

2.with the image open in Irfanview, Press 'T'.
This will open up a window with the folder directory tree on the left and the thumbnails on the right. Holding the mouse over a thumbnail will give basic image info, double clicking a thumbnail will open it up in the main Irfanview window.

I was talking about the thumbnail view settings in Windows explorer (View>Thumbnails) and the file details thumbnail preview(on the left in an explorer window, both of which do not allow previewing of certain images.

But, it worked out just fine with step 2 that you have given! Thanks again.

You can adjust the thumbnail size in Irfanview by...

1. In the Irfanview thumbnail viewer go to 'options>set thumbnail options'

TIP: In the Irfanview main properties (press 'p') you can add a shell browser extension that will let you right click on a folder(in windows explorer) and browse with the Irfanview thumbnail viewer...
'p'(properties)>Extensions>'Add "Browse with IrfanView" for Drives and Folders to shell menu'

As for the Explorer details preview, I usually have it off, for moving large images, video etc means that while it generates a thumbnail, you're not able to move/edit/delete them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back