Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S/video output to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rems

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2004
CA
Hello,

I Have 3 toshiba satellite laptops with ATI mobility radeon 7000 graphic cards in them. Those cards have S/video ports, but I can't get to make them to work on a TV. I used an S/video to RGB adapter, so that the tv and the laptops can be connected. But the Port doesn't seem to send any output. In the card's display properties can set a television as a secondary monitor, but it always give me a "monitor not connected" notice (with the image of a serial cable) So i'm guessing my laptops are sending the video thru the serial port by default, but I want it to go thru the s/video port and I don't know how to change that...

Any advice or useful Software you would recommend(freeware preferably)?
Thanks

In order to make this work properly your TV has to have S-Video inputs. ATI has a write up on their website that explains how to make this work.
Also, some of the Toshiba's had a composite video out as well as a S-Video, if you use the composite out then you can connect to a TV with composite inputs. The video sucks on TV's without S-Video however, you would not want to use that type of TV as a monitor.

You could try connecting them up to something - anything - that does have an S-Video input. Then you should be able to configure the second monitor. As long as whatever is attached is sending the appropriate signal back down the cable the laptop will think there's something to display on. Next time you connect one to your TV it should happily send the signal.

I had a similar problem with an nVidia card on my desktop machine. An updated driver fixed it for me.

Nelviticus

Ive used my s-video out to composite in on my TV no problem, so the way you are doing it should work. Have you tried booting up the PC with the svideo cable connected to the TV? Sometimes it gets recognised that way.

Check and make sure that you have the output selected in your display properties. Click on "settings" then "advanced" and see if you have the "TV display" selected. (Just trying to cover all the bases)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back