Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S.O.S. !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markino

Programmer
Oct 10, 2003
IT
Hello,
I have a little problem:
I have one notebook with WinXPPro and in MyDOcuments of my user (administrator group) I have many files and dir!
Some of this "documents" are private (some photo ecc..) and MyDocuments dir was moved in a different partition of HD (d:\users\Marco\).

When I share my PC to my friends, or my fmily, I would like to prevent access to only some dir or file.
This private objs are not in one specific dir. because I have , for example, some private photo in MyPictures dir and I have some private doc in other dir that are strewed in subfolder... :p

What is the best way to configure my notebook to be used by different user?

Probably, the best way is to use Guest account but how can I configure Guest to can use ONLY Internet connection, all installed programs and access only some dir strewed in MyDocuments dir?

Is there any nice and secure programs to add password (not hide, please!) to specific dir?

Otherwise.. can I prevent access, to other users, for all MyDocuments dir and create some shortcut in the "public area" ONLY for objs that I want to share?! (shortcut, not copy of dir please!)

Regards,
Markino

You can ecrypt the files/folders to prevent others from opening them:

Files:

Folders:

I would not place restrictions on the Guest Account in a Workgroup setting, as it has a special meaning in Windows. Create a new account for them to use and set the restrictions on applications to that account.

This utility may help: thread779-685048

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back