Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Russian Arial text in word into Quark 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaHarris

Technical User
May 6, 2004
CA
The text is in Russian text in Arial in Word. It's fine in Word.

When I bring it into Quark it just becomes an array of question marks and numbers.

Any ideas how to have Quark 5 read the arial Russian characters?

Donna

I had the same problem as yourself a while back. There are two formats that dictate how your keystrokes are converted into what you see on screen, ANSI and UNICODE. UNICODE can recognise many more characters than the standard ANSI and is used for languages with non-standard characters, Russian and the like. Microsoft Word recognises UNICODE, after calling Quark Tech Support I discovered Quark doesn't!

In the end I set the Russian text in Adobe illustrator (which does support Unicode!) converted a version to outline text and imported it into my Quark doc as an EPS. A little long-winded but it worked!

I have since requested the translation house we use to supply text to us in a format that Quark can use, they charged us a little extra (and wouldn't tell me how they did it) but it worked - if you get your text from a translation house it might be worth asking them.

Hope this is of use!

You must to save word file as .rtf and then get it.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back