Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runtime Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcat21

Programmer
Jul 28, 2002
US
I have a prospective customer that approximately sixty (60) users. I package my application using the Package and Deployment of Access Developer. I want to distribute using Access Runtime. If I package it at home, how do I package it so that the Front End can find the Back End on THEIR network.
I create an .mde, then I package my app with the .mde and the Back End.
Problem is that when I install it, the FE (.mde) can not find the BE. I can re-link the tables using FULL Access, but I want to do it using only Runtime if I can.
Is there a good way to do it on my end before packaging?

I would appreciate any help.

Thomas Bailey

Hi

You can do the relink in code using code similar to (you need a reference to DAO to use this):

Set Db = CurrentDb()
DoCmd.Hourglass True
lblProgress.Visible = True
For i = 0 To Db.TableDefs.Count - 1
lblProgress.Caption = "Relinking " & i + 1 & " of " & Db.TableDefs.Count
DoEvents
Set tdf = Db.TableDefs(i)
If tdf.Connect <> "" Then
j = InStr(1, UCase(tdf.Connect), "DATABASE=")
k = InStr(1, UCase(tdf.Connect), "TABLE=")
strConnect = Left(tdf.Connect, j + 8) & txtDataMDB & ";Table=" & tdf.Name
tdf.Connect = strConnect
tdf.RefreshLink
End If
Next i
lblProgress.Visible = False
DoCmd.Hourglass False
Set Db = Nothing

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Ken,

I don't know if I'm just being thick-headed or......

Would you mind posting the entire code you use to relink the tables. I can't seem to get this to work and don't know what the j= or k= is supposed to do.

i find it most useful to simulate the clients back end drive for table linking during development, testing and enhancement. XP makes it easy to rename drives; you could rename another hard disk or a partition. I am currently using a USB flashdisk to simulate the client's Novel G: drive with folders like the client's network. The mde created works fine on clients network since the path is correct for linked tables. When at clients site using a desktop, flashdisk is assigned another letter by their pc since they have a G drive. I save a copy of their current backend to the flashdisk and when plugged into my laptop, it becomes G drive, simulating their site. This also allows immediate onsite problem fixes using laptop Access and recreation of the mde without having to have login rights to their network for laptop.

I thought i tried to try that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back