Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runs slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieViper

Technical User
Apr 28, 2004
US
I am a newbee here, so I don't quite know my way around yet ... I have win 98 xp home edition, seems to run slow, pages take forever to load, i have 384 mb ram with a large harddrive. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Check to see if the virtual memory(swapfile) is activating.
If so, then you either need more RAM(Win XP is known for eating memory), and/or shut down unnecessary programs(especially an antivirus program) running in the background.

Also, multitasking can also cause your problem.

What's "Win 98 XP Home Edition"? lol...

If you mean Windows 98, then your Memory is adequate, and I would run Adaware (Search for "Adaware" on Google).

If you mean XP Home, then you may need more Memory, but I would still advise trying Adaware...

1. Run a full virus scan: If you don't have a good anti-virus program, AVG is free, download at
2. Clean out your cache: Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools | Internet Options, delete files & cookies.

3.Run a disk cleanup: Open Windows Explorer, right-click the hard drive, select Properties.

4. Run spyware removal software: As IloveCheese suggests, download and run AdAware, also download and run Spybot Search & Destroy.

5. Defrag the hard drive.

The steps listed above are the basics of cleaning up your PC. Don't bother troubleshooting further until you have done this.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I am baffled by your description of the Operating System, is it Windows 98 or Windows XP? You should certainly empty Temporary Internet files and Cookies as suggested byDearingKR above, paragraph2

Sorry, it's Windows XP Home Edition. I ran Adaware, scan disk, defrag, don't know what else to do.

A couple of other things to try...

Remove unnecessary software: if you've had the computer for a while, you'll be surprised the amount of stuff loaded you probably don't use.

Stop unnecessary programs from loading at startup: except for your anti-virus program, very few items actually need to load at startup. Look at your system tray, if you've got more than a handfull of icons, then you can probably dramatically improve your system perfomance. Click Start| Run type 'msconfig'. Tinker with this and see what works best for you.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

The HD may also be failing.
Run diagnostics on it at the manuf's website to see if it's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back