Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runs a DTS not as a job 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRonken

Programmer
Oct 30, 2003
US
I have a DTS Package that runs in the local packages section BUT doesn't run when I make it a job. I don't see anything in the log files, is their a way to do some detail troupleshooting of the error. It just indicates, 'job failed to run' ....

The error is

[298] SQLServer Error: 8198, Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'PMSTAT\SERVERADMIN'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (ConnIsLoginSysAdmin)

Right-mouse click on the job and see if there is any history that may help us.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Based on your error message, the job needs to run under a different account. Change it to sa and see if it runs under that account before we try anything else.

Thanks

J. Kusch

The job failed. The Job was invoked by User sa. The last step to run was step 1 (dts_Immunization_Update_3_29_04). NOTE: Failed to notify 'Glenn' via email.

OK, the server is loged in as SERVERADMIN acct, in the login users on SQL it has admin rights. The job fails with the following message ...

The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (PMSTAT\SERVERADMIN)of the job Test_GCR_2 has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'PMSTAT\SERVERADMIN'.[SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 8198)).

I THINK that a while back we changed the login for the server, the service is started under the abouve NT Account.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I had this same issue when I set the agent up to run at the system account level and the DTS package needed to export to a file. It would seem that the system account does not give access to the local file system in the same manner as a user account.

I fixed the problem by using a standard "user level" domain account and setting sql agent to run on that account thereby giving agent access to the file system.

Hope this helps.

- Glen

Know thy data.

I had the same problem and BuGlen's answer worked beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back