Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running WINS Manager remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to run WINS Manager from a remote Win2000 Professional workstation? If so, is there a link that someone can give me a pointer to that'll give directions on how it's done?

So far, I've been able to set things up so that I can run 'Server Manager', 'User Manager', 'DNS Admin', 'DHCP Admin' & 'Exchange Server Admin' from my desktop, but WINS Manager is resisting all of my efforts.

FWIW, the servers that I'm administering are both NT & 2000. Some of the references I've seen (primarily the "Help" pages from the Win2000 Pro Resource Kit) state that WINS Manager is available for Win2000 Server versions only - but then why is it possible for me to run all of the above apps (which should, theoretically, also be limited to server machines)???

Thoughts, comments, and especially "how-to" info are very much appreciated.

T.

Install adminpak.msi from a 2000 server onto your workstation. It's usually located in \winnt\system32.

Includes most of the administrative goodies, including WINS

Outstanding, that worked beautifully, thank you!

Now I've just discovered that that won't work on my boss's PC, does anyone know of a similar trick for XP Professional?

Never mind, I found it - see my post in the WinXP forum for the link...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back