Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running windows Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsonx

Technical User
May 5, 2003
AU
Now that I have a new job with multimedia programming, I have a need to run some windows applications on Linux.

I have a windows XP NTFS partition with all my apps installed on it. I want to be able to somehow run them through Linux. I am aware of Wine, Win4Lin, and crossover office. However, I am unsure which will be able to fulfill my purpose.

The main applications I want to run are Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, and Photoshop. I have been told win4lin is incompatible with XP/2k. I have also been told WINE is pretty crappy.

My questions are:

1. Which will run best?
2. Which will support running programs from an NTFS partition with XP on it?
3. Is crossover office worth paying money for?

Thanks.

i wouldn't rule out Wine without trying it. You can check out the probability of being able to run your apps at appdb.codeweavers..com. I think the main apps you need work pretty well.
You may also want to take a look at quanta (web dev tool) for KDE (don't let the website put you off ;-)

Linux has substitue programs for Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, and Photoshop. Learn to use those instead of trying to get the Windows program to work in Linux. It isn't worth messing with Windows.

--Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is believing you are too secure."

I have got all of those you have mentioned to work with crossover office. Depending on how stringent your work is with using those particular dev. tools, you can get it to work with crossover office quite well.

If you *need* to use those tools, then I would be inclined to purchase crossover office. However, there are many excellent Linux HTML and graphics development tools available. Do a search on Google and you will find plenty.

WINE is okay, but some apps don't run that well, but again, it is free.

Come on Sapient.. Can you tell me what else, other than Macromedia's stuff, can create flash objects? Nothing else.

Picture and web design.... yes. Creation of a properity format... NO.

Still, people have nasty problems with Gimp (advanced art program) because it doesnt do any higher than 16 bit color. That right there is a show stopper to people used to adobe/fireworks.

If there's a real Linux solution to what he asks (crossover or VMware) that's good... but plain lying about a product existing natively for Linux is false*

* Macromedia is considering porting some tool clients to Linux. Be hopeful. they already support a x86 linux bin format (netscape/moz)

Interesting that no one mentioned Win4Lin as an option for running Win apps under Linux. The only Windows app I wish to run under Linux is Paltalk and some games. If I could do that reliably it would be bye bye windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back