Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running win95 prog on win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigertom

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
GB
I have win98SE and many older win95 progs load up ok. Recently I seenm unable to load any. Also autorun seems to be disabled although in 'device manager' the cdrom settings box is ticked. Any ideas pse?
Tigertom

When did this problem start? If it is in the last day or two, you might try restoring an earlier registry by booting to the dos prompt and typing "scanreg /restore" and press enter. Win98, by default, saves the registries from the first boots of the last 5 days.

Thank you. No this is not a recent problem. It has been with me since I got this PC about 2 months ago

The autorun might be corrected using tweakui for Win98. On the last tab there are check boxes to autostart music and data discs. Can you be more specific about the programs that won't run?

For the CD autorun issue, copy and paste below (from REGEDIT4 to end) into Notepad and save it as anyname.REG
Right click the .reg file and select Merge.

Let us know.........

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"CDRAutoRun"=hex:01,00,00,00

Thanks, guys,
Your comments are most helpful BUT, being a mere mortal I am not au fait with making the registry alterations. When I go to regedit I can follow the route through to the cdautorun location but cannot see how to type in an alteration. Also can see no ref to Regedit 4. Sorry to be a pain.
Tom

Well, I gave you the easy way - cut, paste, & merge.

Anyway, if you can find your way through regedit to CDRAutorun - right click - Modify - change to 01 00 00 00

rgds

win98user pse is short for please
lideho and WheeDoggy many thanks. You have sorted out the problem for me. All I need now is to find out how to get that darned Win95 cdrom to run on my win 98SE machine ! Maybe not.
Tigertom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back