Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Voice & Data on one cat5 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

FesTec

Instructor
Nov 24, 2010
CA
Hey I Run Voice & Data on one cat5 wow

I do it all the time run everything on one cat 5
"Projectpete" on your old post the brown pair 7+8 is used for POE and the blue pair is telephone pins 4+5
green and orange is data pins 1+2 3+7

When you added them all together its the cat's ASS

apparently their is more than one way to skin a cat5

are you just too lazy to run a new wire?

if any of the retired New England Tel/AT&T/Lucent/Avaya guys (they all had 35+ years in the 'phone company') that taught me my trade heard that i even thought about doing something so stupid, they would come to where i lived and take away my tools and put a hit out on me.

you can use the 2 spare pairs as a last resort It's just not
good practice and I have done it in my own house without any
problems!

Festec please DO continue to use this wiring method. As a professional who relies on good word of mouth advertising I will continue to use people like you as an example of why my customers should hire a professional to do their installs. I have when needed, used a pair for phone but I NEVER recommend it for anything other than a last resort.

Wouldn't it be better to use something like this

you need to use them in pairs and they will give you a voice and data outlet without messing about with the structured wiring.cabling which should have been verified by the installer?

Then you can look at getting more points installed?

Using an adapter is the option, when you don't want to destroy the structured wiring system, you need them on both ends. But, they need to be CATEGORY compliant for Ethernet use, and match the Category, 5e or 6, of the particular structured wiring system. Category rated items cannot be mixed, if you want to be compliant for Ethernet transmissiom!

....JIM....

Not exactly true, Jim. Ethernet can travel over barbed wire, just not as fast or as far. The "ethernet splitter" works, for basic 10-base T, 100-BT, or somewhere in-between. Problem is it can't accommodate Power over Ethernet that uses the spare pairs, and it requires management. That's why the splitter at both ends, though costly, is a better way to split instead of modifying the jacks and patch panel.

Pretty much, it still comes down to twists and the skill of the person making the splitters. Your tester will complain bitterly if you screw it up.

LkEErie

Just for S & G's, I Googled "Ethernet over Barbed Wire"…and wow, people really tested it.
Crazy…

As I've said for a long time now, the marketing techniques of cable manufacturers can be likened to that of the tail wagging the dog. It will be a neat day when the over-engineered, you'll-be-sorry-if-you-don't "future proofed" cabling products dictate how Cisco, Foundry, Juniper, Apple, HP, 3Com or even Belkin design their hardware.

Pull fiber if you really want to "future proof". Sheesh, the cost delta between CAT6A and MM fiber is almost nothing (though admittedly more expensive for termination labor). And while it's true that the price for fiber NICs is out of control, that too will one day find an anvil and come back to Earth.

A similar war is going on in the world of media. While "high speed" HDMI cables are now being marketed, a British study involving industry audiophiles concludes that even the best cannot discern any difference in sound reproduction when wired with one of two extremities: coathangers or "oxygen free THX-certified" speaker wire.

Tim Alberstein

Having more than one cat5 is a good thing, with TV comming from the phone company they are recommending installing 3 cat5e to each location

one cat5 for voice only blue pair being used
one cat5 for data only green & orange pairs being used
one cat5 for TV only green & orange pairs being used

12 pairs total
5 pairs in use
7 spare pairs in case of the other contractors are damaging the dam wire during home constuction

Snake oil and "smoke and mirrors" seem to be the option of the times in this regard!

....JIM....

I have done it plenty of times as last resort type of quick fix. I think the techs who wire a complete suite like this are LAZY and ripping off their cutomers.

alwayslearning

Future proof your install. have the electrician home run a 1.5" EMT conduit to every location and ever potential future location back to the electrical panel or comms room. When they get that bill no one will ever complain about a second Cat5e cable for "future use".

I remember there being other posts in this thread. Any ideas?

My take is CAT3 for digital voice & CAT 5E or 6(E or A) for data (depending on the customer's requirements).

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Oops...I forgot to add only split the pairs as an absolute last resort.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Why bother with Cat3 when Cat5 is cheaper in many cases and allows you to move to a VOIP system easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back