Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running VMWare over a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Aug 9, 2000
Hello,

Wonder if anyone might be able to help...I have a laptop with 8GB of RAM and a Desktop with 3GB of RAM. I'm running out of hard disk space on my Laptop so was just wondering if it would be possible to copy over a VMWare Image to the Desktop, map a drive and force VMWare on my Laptop to use the new image ? Is this possible and if so would VMWare on my laptop be using the Desktop's RAM or the laptop ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Cheers,
Johnny

Cheers,

I am assuming your using VMWare Workstation

Yea, it is possible, may be slow but still possible. The vmdk is just being stored on the network location, it will still be using the cpu and memory of your laptop.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

It would be easier if you purchased an external USB drive for you laptop. I have an old desktop running VMware workstation 5 and response from the USB drive has been decent.

Many thanks :) I'll go with the external hard drive.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back