Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running videos from Internet Explorer 11 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I can launch videos from the address bar of my browser, to play in the associated program but I get the option to either save or run the video.

Is it possible to bypass that option window and automatically run the video?

Keith

[ol 1][li]It depends upon which application is controlling video for your browser. You could try opening Windows Media Player separately if you haven't yet, then go through it's initial setup steps - see if it then defaults to one way or another.[/li]
[li]Another option could be to install a 3rd party video program to see if it takes control better. For instance, VLC typically works pretty well, just make sure to allow it to take all defaults for video[/li]
[li]And just to double check - I'm sure you are stating it correct, but to verify - you are using Internet Explorer and not Edge? Edge doesn't yet support plugins, so though it's a nice fast browser, it can have hiccups with such things as you're dealing with.[/li][/ol]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I am using VLC but it appears that Windows itself is issuing the prompt.
This is a local server loading local files into a local application, you would think that a browser would be designed so that local permissions could be opened right up while maintaining external security.
I want to go down the browser route so it is portable across machines.

Keith

Maybe after all, this is all you need:
Link said:
MANUALLY CONFIGURING OPEN/SAVE FOR A FILE TYPE

In Internet Explorer 10 or 11 you will first have to click on a file of the type you want to open automatically next time.
This will give you the Open/Save prompt.
Select the Save option.
Then in Internet Explorer click Tools
Under Tools click the View Downloads option
You will see a popup containing the file that you just downloaded.
Right-click on the file
In the options presented, make sure to un-check the option labeled: Always ask before opening this type of file

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back