Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RUNNING TOTAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIANVH

MIS
Oct 7, 2002
US
Is there any way to calculate a running total in a query or report? My data has a beginning balance, planned usage by job, and planned purchases by Purchase order, that are unioned to a "Quantity" field. Somehow I need to calculate the projected inventory balance as of each date (record). I need more than a just an ending balance, I need the balance of of each date (record).

In queries you turn on the total row,[right click ,in design view and click on the sigma symbol] that should make it easier for you to figure out.
On reports
Open the report in Design view.Add a calculated text box to one or more of the following sections:How?To calculate a total or average for a group of records, add a text box to the group header or footer.To calculate a grand total or average for all records in the report, add a text box to the report header or footer.To display the property sheet, make sure the text box is selected, and then click Properties on the toolbar.In the ControlSource property box, type an expression that uses the Sum function to calculate a total or the Avg function to calculate an average. Tip In a Microsoft Access database (.mdb), you can click the Build button to use the Expression Builder to create the expression

Hope that helps!

I need more than a simple total or sum. Each row of data needs a running balance (total) which would total up all of the prior rows of data, but not include subsequent rows. I hope I am making sense.

In your text box that you want the running total, set its Control Source to the field you want to sum, and set its Running Sum property to Over All.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back