Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Total - CR7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

groasa

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
I've read some previous information in a thread of similar nature concerning the Running Totals are not the right values when running through Crystal, but when exported, the numbers are correct. But suggestions from there did not help.

Let me explain further.

The report has running totals in Group Footer #1 and the Report footer. I am using the running total tool and not the 3 formula way. It is calculating a sum evaluated on Group # 3. It resets either on change of Group #1 for that footer or Never for the Report footer.

I have checked to see that none of the groups have "Keep together" selected nor do they repeat header on each new page.

I happen to have Crystal versions 6, 7 and 8.5 on my system for development. When I run the report through 8.5, the values for the running totals are correct. But if I save that report to my customer's system (they only have CR7) the values are wrong again. I've also tried compiling in v8.5 and put that on their system to no avail.

Is the total in V7 higher or lower?
Can you put the running total on the detail and see where it goes off? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Ken,

The total in V7 is higher by a value that appears on the 29th page of the report. For some reason it just adds that value twice. The totals tally correct up until that point and had it not added that value twice it continues to total correctly.

Have you heard anything about V7 maintenance release correcting this? I'm currently trying to find the company's registration number to get a copy to see if that fixes it.

You are sure that Group 3 doesn't have "Keep Group Together" checked in Report - ChangeGroupExpert (Group 3 - Options). This is the exact behavior I would expect.

Anything else unique about what happens on page 29? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

I checked the group options again and "Keep Group Together" was not checked. Just to see if it would do something, I selected that option, ran it, then de-selected it and ran it to see if anything changed. No such luck.

But I just tried to take off the conditional suppression for Group 3 and now the totals are correct. The group suppresses whenever the field: armaster.balance = 0. This is also the field that the running total is summing.

So, I guess now the question is how do I get the group to suppress when the balance is 0 without compromising the running total?

BTW, Crystal Decisions is sending me the CD for the maintenance release so I'll try that whenever it gets here.

Thanks for all your help so far!!

Which section(s) are you suppressing, and what exactly is the suppress formula. You might be able to use Group Selection instead of conditional suppression, and this might work better with your running total fields. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are the best!

I took out the conditional suppression on Group #3(it was {armaster.balance} = 0) then added a group selection ({armaster.Balance} <> 0). The running totals are now correct!

Thanks again for your help!!

Groasa,

I am glad we are on the right track, but I don't think you are done. I am concerned because that formula you are posting doesn't involve a group, so it will probably move itself to the record selection formula the next time you use the select expert. That may or may not give you the same result.

Are you trying to eliminate all RECORDS that have a zero balance, or are you trying to eliminate all GROUPS that have a subtotal of zero?

Were you suppressing the GH? the GF? the Details?
Was this the exact formula? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Good point. I think that because of the way the data is stored it might not make a difference. Let me know what you think:

In the database {armaster.balance} is listed by {armaster.accountID}.
Details are suppressed. For some reason all the fields in detail are repeated in GH #2, GH #3, GF #2 and GF#3. (I am not the original creator of the report - just the one trying to figure out how to fix it!)
Group #3 is {armaster.accountID} -- Header is suppressed. Footer is where the fields are - none of these are subtotals. This is the group that I only want it to show when {armaster.balance} <> 0.
Group #2 is {armaster.Name} -- this group is suppressed.
Group #1 is by User2 (Salesman) and this group has a conditional suppression on Sum ({armaster.Balance}, {armaster.User2}) = 0

So, can I leave the selection as: {armaster.Balance} <> 0
or do I need to do something with the group(s)?

How many details would there be in each group 3? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Do you mean if the Details section wasn't suppressed? If so, then with the way that this report is designed it repeats the same information depending on the number of transactions that customer has had.

If the report was designed with only the one table, each of the fields would be displayed once per account ID.

So if you showed the details within group 3 they would always be identical? If that is the case, you are fine. However, if group 3 might contain 2 or more different (some zero and some not) then you might have a problem. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

Thanks for your help, Ken.

I've updated the report at the customer's site. When they get in (PST) I left them a message to check the report and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks again,
Glenda Roasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back