Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running swing applets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dummie2

MIS
Mar 28, 2000
US
I have Java plug-in in control panel, but to run an applet or a swing applet from sun.java tutorial page doesn't seem to happen.  it sits there reading 'loading java applet...', but never loads.  At the bottom of the screen in something loke an information bar it reads 'load: class TumblItem.class not found' or 'load: class SoundApplet.class not found'.  

I have run across that problem alot to, the reason is the java plug in that you have installed is most likely the 1.1 object model.&nbsp;&nbsp;To use any swing components you need 1.2 or higher.&nbsp;&nbsp;This plugin is not offered through the normal java plugin you will need to download the 30mb java runtime files get the 1.3 object model since it is the newest.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would not try to do any public release applets using swing yet.&nbsp;&nbsp;The other thing you are going to run into with java applets is that loading it in IE it runs of of microsoft version of the java runtime engine :)&nbsp;&nbsp;You have to find the correct html source to force the java plug in to activate.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you go to suns website and search for html_converter it you should be able to download it.&nbsp;&nbsp;If not just email me and i can send it to you.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your best bet with swing applets and applications is to use them only for testing purposes.&nbsp;&nbsp;Swing is a really neat user interface suite but unfortunately microsoft and netscape can not agree with sun to allow the newest version of the plugin to be installed defaulty.&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> is a link to every class,function in the java runtime files you can check by the class and the function when you are desgineing applets to see if a funciton or a class is supported in the whatever version of java.&nbsp;&nbsp;good luck<br><br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"In the beginning there was HTML, and it was good"<br>
by Nick Heinle, Designing with JavaScript<br>
<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back