Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Sun's Demo Applets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bromberg

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hi!

I downloaded & successfully installed the Sun
JDK 1.4.1_01. I was playing around with the 'sort' demo in the directory: DannyJDK\demo\applets\SortDemo\example1.html . I received this error message stating to "download & install the Java Virtual Machine".

However, when I execute that (or any of the other demos) from the directory: DannyJDK\demo\applets\plugin\SortDemo\example1.html
then the applet executes with no problem. So it seems this (different) path picks up the plugin whereas the other path doesn't.

I'm running Win XP. Is there a way I should tell it to recognize my JRE, or is what I described normal?

Thanks,
Danny

I think it's due to having import class libraries, M$'s JDK is only current as of 1.1 something which doesn't support a lot of features that the Sun Java plugin has and that are implemented in the higher versions of the JDK. Thus, I've heard about problems with Windows XP, but try installing either the plugin from sun (if it isn't already) or just keep using the plugin classes.

At least though if nothing has changed since I last read, Microsoft has been ordered to ship a newer version of the JDK! :)

JavaDude32

Thanks, JavaDude32. The plugin is installed fine but Ithink I need to re-install my IEv6 since I deleted MS's JVM thinking I could easily point it to Sun's JVM. Even though my IE option's panel shows Sun's JVM, IE refuses to use it?!? I guess part of my question is where does SUN document the difference between their 2 paths:
\demo\applets\plugin\yada-yada versus \demo\applets\yada-yada ?
Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back