Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running Sun OS 10 & Applications copy to another SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT1976

Technical User
Aug 23, 2010
DE
Dear Sun Expert guys,
I am newbie in SUN here i would like to ask here experts about Sun platform. I’ve running Sun10 on my Sun Fire which has 2x SCSI 36 Gig hard disk. I want to upgrade 2xSCSI 146 Gig hard disk capacity due to some application requirements on to another Sun Fire so my question to you guys is
Is it possible (1to1 copy) running Sun Solaris 10 OS with same Partitioning scheme and Application copy to another higher capacity Disk? If yes how can I do that ?

I’ll appreciate your easylife solutions.
Best regards
BAIG

You haven't gone into too many details about your configuration. But I would expect that a 'filesystem' copy rather than a 'disk' or 'bitmap' copy is what you require. Perhaps a 'ufsdump' command 'piped' to a 'ufsrestore'.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Hi Mike,
thanx for the quick reply. let me concise background.
i've running Solaris 10 on Sun fire which has 2x36 GB small Scsi hard disk that what i want to replace with greather 2x146GB SCSI hard disk. there are two option what i can do.

The 1st simply commence new OS installation on the new SCSI 2x146 GB hard drives and mnauelly install all application or the 2nd any solution that i can copy or mirror ( 1to1) OS+application from old to new ones. i am aware about image to do that on windows but no idea how to do that on sun systems.

your suggestion appreciated.
thaxn& reg
BAIG

There is still very little information about your configuration. Perhaps by getting the answers to specific questions will help us. There are too many variables to give a definitive answer as to whether it can be done, let alone the 'how' it could be done.
How many slots for disks does your Sun Fire have? and how many disks are currently installed?
Are the 2 x 36GB disks mirrored? and if so, by what method (hardware or software, and if software, what software)?
What are the partition layouts for the 2 x 36GB disks? and how full is each partition (as a percentage)?

In the past I have successfully copied partitions (using 'ufsdump' piped into a 'ufsrestore'), even the Solaris OS root partition, so it is possible to do it without a fresh install. Just need to check your configuration to ensure it is possible in your situation.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back