Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running simultaneous backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

buca2003

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
GB
I'm trying to run two back ups simultaneously. I set up two device groups and assigned different jobs to each group. I scheduled each job to begin at the same time but only 1 stated. I'm persuming the the seciond job was queued. How do i get both jobs to run at the same time?

On the DESTINATION tab of each job, are they pointing to the same device group by accident?

What seems to be happening is:
I set up one group to back up areas c and D. When i assign these areas to the group I schedule it to run today at 14:00hrs, for example
Once that has been set i assign area E and system state to the secnond group. Go intot he schedule tab and set it to also run at 14:00hrs.
Whatever the second group has been set to, the first group becomes set to the same jobs! even though I have set the first group up to back up a different area!
I'm very confused. Why is the back up job of my first group changing to whatever my second group is set to????

Hi
You will be able to run two job at the same time if you only have 2 drives in your tape library.

Do you have 2 drives in your tape library?

To run 2 jobs at the same time you should configure a virtual tape library. in this way your physical library will be sepreated to 2 virtual tape library then you can run 2 jobs at the same time.

regards,
mohamdr

No, Mohamdr, it turns out we only have 1 drive!
that returns me to my original problem of a very very slow throughput resulting in a complete backup taking 23 hrs!!

I think backups shall be the death of me!

If you only have 1 tape drive then you will be unable to run simultaneous backup jobs.
You may need to look at performance tunning.
Do you have your swap file an the same physical drive as ARCserve? I recommend that an older HD be installed to house the swap file. This should help with performance.
The above URL can be bypassed if you have ARCserve 2000 CD. On this you will find a program called "sharemem.exe", use this program and increase the memory that ARCserve can use for a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back