Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running script at CDE startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgswong

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hi all, maybe someone can help me on this one, I have no clue. We have a backup operator who currently must log into the server using the 'command line' option at the console to access the menu he needs to do backups.

The way we've set it up is that as soon as the operator logs in he gets the menu and when he finishes he is automatically disconnected. Since he is at the console, I would like for the script to startup automatically when he logs into CDE, giving him access only to this script, and exit the session once he finishes with the menu.

I know that the CDE does not allow interactive scripts to be run on startup (I've tried this it "hangs" so to speak), but I thought maybe someone has a work-a-round or something. Is this possible, or do I need to stick with the current 'command line' option. Thanks.

- Stuart

well CDE will allow access to all sorts of wonderful stuff, that i assume you don't want the user to access ...

you could modify the menus and startbar and remove everything you don't want them to do, and add a shell command that runs the script and exits ...

otherwise get them to use openlook ... much easier to modify, and you don't have to completely bastardise the interface ...

a popup menu of :

<my-prog>
Exit.

might be what you're looking for :)

Ps. This doesn't automatically start up, but there aint much else he can do :)

Thanks jad, I'll try this out and see, but I don't have openlook. What is it? Is it the same thing as openwindows?

- Stuart

yeah ... :)

it's known by about 7 different names at our place, that i can remember ... thats one of them :)

Hi,

Some of the rc scripts would not execute on reboot. When I run the script manually, they run fine. What could cause some of these scripts to not execute on startup. Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Timc

Maybe you can insert the command to start the menu at the end of the .dtprofile and in next line an &quot;exit&quot;.
In this case the programm (the workspace will not be loaded) end after ending the programm the session ends

wuah and sorry

In this case the workspace will not be loaded end after ending the programm the session ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back