Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running reports outside of ePortfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

moxie249

Technical User
May 15, 2001
CA
I hope this hasn't been asked too many times, but I didn't seem to find an answer to my question when I searched.

I'd like to run some crystal reports connecting to a MS SQL 2000 Server, without making the users go through ePortfolio.

I have them running right now on a separate server on CR8.5, but we don't have enough licenses on that server, and we're getting concurrent user errors.

I'm using .asp pages to pass the parameters, etc., and when I try to run the reports the same way on the CE server, I get the error message "Server has not yet been opened". The "testconnectivity" function on my .asp page returns "false", although I am actually able to run the report in Crystal on that server with no problems. I can even run it from ePortfolio. But I don't want to do that.

I've seen that it is possible to run reports outside of ePortfolio using .csp pages. I'm very comfortable with .asp pages, so I don't mind the learning curve for .csp, but I just don't know where to start. Is there a site, or someone here who could get me started on this?

I won't bother posting the code to the .asp page unless someone wants to see it.

Thanks in advance,
Brenda

Your best bet is to use the eportfolio pages as a reference, ie how they open reports etc.

Lisa

Unfortunately, I can't find any examples of opening reports with parameters. I've got a bunch of .csp files here that someone gave me, but they don't show anything about opening a report and assigning values to the parameters.

I've got one that will open the report with default values for the parameters, and export it as a .pdf, which is how I want the end result, but I need the parameters set.

Any ideas?

All help greatly appreciated ;-)

Hi
Go to

and search for a file using
ASP as the key word in the Advanced search page..Limit it to CE 8.5 - there will be a downloadable file that contains many samples of using ASP/CSP to call reports with or without parameters..

[profile]

Hi Turkbear,

Thanks for that, but I already have the samples from Crystal. They have one that exports a report in .pdf, which is great. But the only one they have that discusses parameters is one displaying the default values for parameters. I can't find anything about how to assign values to the parameters when running a report.

I had *no* idea this was going to be so difficult to find!

Thanks anyway.

Hi,
CE 9 and up have samples showing how to use a Report Factory object to build these, but I see nothing like that for 8.5.
We, for our 8.5 system, build a URL to pass the paramter name and value to the report.
For instance:
If the parameter is named EmpNbr, we create a URL like:
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://CESERVER/viewrpt.cwr?id=127165&apsname=Guest&apsauthtype=secEnterprise&promptex-EmpNbr=00015959[/URL]

The way the URL string gets built varies depending on the user interface we build ( plain text boxes, drop-down option lists, etc) but, ultimately, we have to build the appropriate URL
( For full info on what can be placed in the command line, download the document called ce8_urlcommands.pdf from the BO support site.. )

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back