Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running programs without administrative rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktmrandy

Technical User
Dec 23, 2003
US
I have a SBS 2003 server with 5 client computers. I have installed quickbooks pro on all 5 clients with a shared folder on the server. I keep getting the must run quickbook pro using administrative rights error. I started by adding all users to the administrators group. No luck there. On the client machines I have added users to the full control security list for Quickbook Pro and when looking at the effective permissions it shows they have full rights. I even changed the owner to a local user. The only way I have been able to run this is to use the run as command and run as the client machine administrator. Is there any other way to give the users the right to run this program?

Well there's the option of giving the user full control on just the Quickbook Pro program directory, that sometime helps.
If that fails then you can use Runas wrapper, i'll post the link when i find it.

That little program is great. Thanks

Yeah, we run QB's Enterprise on a W2k3 terminal server here and it was much easier to use that runas utility then track down all the registry and folder permissions that needed changed. I've been able to accomplish it without it on every other program but that...

twoody54,

How did you get the RunAs utility to run on a W2K3 server? I'm trying and getting an error about an invalid windows image in regards to one of the dlls? TIA

Jeff W.
MCSE, CNE

I have not used it on the server. I only used it on the clients where I did not want to give them administrative rights just to run a program.

I spoke too soon. I thought I had it running correctly as I used a test user account and got it to work. However, when an actual user went to use it she ran into problems. I will have to get back to you if I see why. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back