Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Powerpoint through VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennik

Programmer
May 16, 2002
AU
Does anyone know if it is possible to run a VB application which opens a powerpoint presentation without actually having powerpoint installed on the end users machine???

Daer Jennik
you can do it but you have to have powerpoint installed on the machin so you could add reference to "Microsoft PoewerPoint Object Libraray 9.0/8.0" depending upon the OFFICE version you have
Regards
Nouman
Sub OpenInvisible()

Dim MyPres As Presentation

Set MyPres = Presentations.Open("c:\test.ppt", _
WithWindow:=msoFalse)

' Close the presentation.
MyPres.Close

End Sub

Thanks for that...I have actually done it this way but I really dont want to rely on the end user having Powerpoint installed on their machine. Is there another way??

Well Jeenik
you have to check if powerpoint is installed on the machine the thing which i do is to atleast register the powerpoint object "Microsoft PowerPoint Object 8.0/9.0" at client you could make a small utility which can do this its very easy to give this or u can make it done automatically using
RegSvr32 in ur application ..
You can check the existance of powerpoint thru registry and if its not installed then give the user a friendly msg so they could know what application is required to install OR u could give them a utility to call for that portion of OFFICE which can installed Powerpoint on theri machine its also could be done
I hope u got it
if u still have any q please feel free to contact me
Regard
Noumans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back