Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running paradox on NT 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

gues

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
AT
Help!!!!...does anyone know if paradox has compatiblity problems with Windows NT/2000, we recently made a switch from Novell (hosting paradox applications, and running smoothly) to Windows NT (speed degradation tremendously).
Thanks

please send patch: wrightp@law.edu

Angelique. Sorry to pile on, especially since I don't know which versions of Paradox the patch is for (I have a legacy 4.5 for DOS). But an otherwise fuctional NT VDM still stalls when we work on reports in insert mode. So could you please email me the patch as well, if you think it might help. del.hillgartner@sunywcc.edu

Thanks much for your time. Del

I know this is an old thread but I hope you see this, Angelique. Could you please email me the Windows 2000/Paradox patch to beres@tcnj.edu? Thanks.

jberes

If you have not received a patch, check this link out. I just installed SP3 for WIN 2K, and this article took care of adding the Compatibility tab to the right-click menu.

Check out the last task on that article. The registry should be updated with the install of SP3. Browse your registry to make sure.

Hope this helps...

Larry

Since I upgraded our BDEs from 5.01 to 5.1, we haven't had any problems. Yet. Thanks for the tip. It still may prove useful.

I am in the middle of changing all my clients over to Win2k. I have been holding of on doing the machines that run paradox because of the same problem. I thought it was a network issue, but I would really like to check that patch out too. bsneller@attbi.com

We are switching to Win2k and I have a couple Paradox 4.5 users. Angelique, if the patch will help, could you please send it to me. My email address is Carlino@netl.doe.gov.

We are using Borland Paradox runtime 5.0 on a small office network using an NT4 server and workstations using Win95 & Win98.
Does anyone know if this version of Paradox will work with Win2000.
We would also be interested to try the patch as mentioned by others. Our address is: efca@efca.com.au

Angelique
Could you please email your patch to me at vitek7@email.cz
Thanks !

Angelique can you please send me the patch as well, INFORTO@TELNOR.NET,
THANKS.

Angelique can you please send me the patch as well, skellyr@kgh.kari.net
THANKS.

Folks,

This thread has bothered me for a long time, for I know of no third-party patches that are appropriate for running Paradox under Windows NT. Furthermore, I am personally leery of patches that are emailed randomly (no offense to Angelique, however, I do know other people have had problems with such things).

Most problems are easily fixed using the official patches from Corel. (See ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Paradox, ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Suites, or ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect as appropriate.)

I do know of a couple of utilities that help run older versions of Paradox on newer computers; these can be found on Steve Green's site ( and do not need to be emailed.

If you're using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you can also fix many compatibility problems by setting the Application Compatibility properties. Please see for more information.

Now, I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon or anything; however, given the amount of unproessional things that get sent via email these days, it seems prudent to use freely available (and verified) sources first.

Respectfully,

-- Lance

Having just read through the thread, I feel that I have to add this to what Lance the Footpad has said.

I have developed in Paradox and Windows NT 4 and then Windows 2000 ever since Windows NT 4 came out. Aside from striving to use the latest version of Paradox, so as to minimise the shock of upgrading too far in one jump, I have done nothing unusual. I have patched both NT and 2000 as soon as the patches were deemed safe (about 3 months after release). I never went to Windows 9x, although my apps commonly run on Win 9x machines, as well as Win NT 4 and Win 2000 ... now Win XP too.

I have never found any need to use any patch for Paradox (7, 8, 9, or 10) to get it to run under Windows NT 4. Under Windows 2000 versions of Paradox prior to 8 have a problem in that Windows does not display dialog box buttons - this problem does not happen with Paradox 9 & 10. It can be prevented by running Paradox with compatibility set to Win 9x systems.

Over the last seven years I have produced at least 12 smallish systems and 5 large ones. No problems with the OS except locking and long file name compatibility, neither of which was caused by Borland or Corel, but by Microsoft being stupid on both occasions. What can I say ? !

Just adding to Mike's comments regarding Application Compatibility settings. You may need to experiment with the one that works for your system.

If you receive a BDE error ("Insufficient Shared Memory Available") when you start an older version of Paradox under a new version of Windows (e.g. Paradox 7.32 under Windows XP), that indicates you're using the wrong compatibility settings. For more information, please see which outlines how to fix the problem.

Hope this helps....

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back