Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running out of room on C Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettban

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
I have SBS 2003 Server from Dell that was pre-configured with hard drive in 2 partitions; the C Drive at 8 GB and the D drive at 32 GB. I'm rapidly running out of space on the C drive which has the SBS OS on it. Is there way to re-allocate space from the D drive to the C drive without re-formatting the entire system? All these "Hotfixes" & "Patches" are eating up my C drive space. Help!

Thanks,
Brett

I tend to forget about emptying the recycle bin on the server... that's usually a good, safe space reclaimer. Seems that a restart after a few months of uptime opens some space too, though that's a very temporary fix. Clear off your desktop of your server downloads (i.e. service packs, hot fixes, etc). Ensure that all of your "programs" are loaded to your other drive, i.e. corporate anti-virus, etc.... moving these are a pain.

Though, to answer your question, allocating space from D to use for C is possible without reformatting the entire system. You can use Partition Magic to adjust the partitions. Before you do such a thing though, your nerves would be well-served to make an image of your drive, using Ghost or some such imaging application.

First thing I do is usually move the pagefile from the C: to D: drive, that should free up a fair amount of space on C: depending on how much RAM is in your system.

Apart from that we've found it's usually ARCserve's database that takes up most space on C: so we just clear that down when required.

There are what I call utility programs that will allow you to re-assign unused disk space from one partition to another on a PC. Not sure if this would apply to a Win SBS, I deal primarily with Novell servers. Here is a link to one that I have seen in action. Have a good one!

FarOut
V-Peace-V

I've also used the Acronis Disk Director on Dell servers for exactly what you are wanting to do (increase C partition). It has worked perfectly everytime and at a much lower cost than Partition Magic.

Brett,

If you are running Exchange, you can change the location of the log files. Also, I think if you check the change/remove program listings, you can see which update/patches you can uninstall and keep those files in the windows directory, otherwise delete the uninstall files.

I have read that the partition magic route can be difficult. Try the google page @ and search there for added info. There is also a SBS2003 specific site mentioned somewhere.

If you haven't yet, check this link for SBS info
Great site.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back