Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Out Of Disk Space On Drive C - *Help* 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEG78

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
US
I have a Dell PowerEdge Server running Windows 2003. Once I installed Windows 2003 it automatically created the standard 4GB parition on Drive C. I am constantly running out of space (under 200MB on the C Drive). All of my Exchange Logs, Swap File, etc. are on a seperate partition. The only program I have installed is Symantec Mail Security.

Any ideas?

Can I use a 3rd party program such as Partition Magic to make the partition larger?

Have you checked under c:\windows\system32\logfiles\ and the directories under that for log files from OWA & SMTP service?

w1nst0ne

Start with finding the reason why it fills up before attemting to mess with your partitions!
You could uninstall some software and re-install on a differnet drive for instance.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

I have deleted all of the old logfiles, but still nothing has helped. :/

There is no extra software installed. Any suggestions?

No extra software? And you consume 4 Gig? That cannot be.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Unfortunately so. I am completely baffled.

you really should spend some time checking what diectories 'consume' most space. That way, you wil find the culprit too.
If you have no tools for that, work by elimination.
In Explorer, right-click all root folders (Program Files, Windows, Documents and Settings,...) one by one and check properties.
Then drill you way down in the biggest one, probably Program Files and do the same.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanks. I will let you know what I find.

What about the bad mail directory have you looked at it?

Another idea would be to search the C drive for all files over say 10 Mb. That list may reveal what is consuming the space, and is pretty quick to do.

Dan

Check also your pagefile size, put it to another partition as another option to free up space.

In SMS for exchange you can configure the location of the quarentine folder, should you be receiving a large number of spam/crap that's eating your disk space.

Thanks for all of your replies. I had this figured out, but with year-end stuff going down, I have not had much time to reply. I am sure you guys understand that. ; )

A huge chunk of it was my Quarantine directory. I had it set to delete every 30 days, but for some reason it stopped doing that. I reset it, and now everything has been tremendously better.

My pagefile has always been on a seperate partition, so that was not it.

The remainder was my bad mail directory. In my haste, I overlooked it. : (

Once again, thanks for all of your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back